86 NA MK1 Engine problems

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

86 NA MK1 Engine problems

Postby GokuMr2 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:06 am

I recently bought a 1986 NA MR2, and I'm having issues with the engine:

- A loud 'knocking' noise (can be described as ticking, because the sound is persistent) at around 2000rpm in First and Second, just after 3000rpm in Third and Fourth, and just after 4000 in Fifth. I brought the car to a mechanic and he said that it could be the piston connecting rods, but he doesn't know for sure. It sounded deep inside the engine, and you can only hear the sound when accelerating.

- Leaks oil, from the block somewhere, and there is also oil in the valve cover over the 1 and 2 cylinder spark plugs.

I'm on a tight budget and I was wondering if it would be cheaper to fix these problems, or if I should just swap in a new engine.
And, if you could provide some kind of knowledge towards this 'knocking' sound?

Thanks
GokuMr2

Re: 86 NA MK1 Engine problems

Postby immorality » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:35 pm

It could be piston slap or some other internal issue. If you are on a tight budget then anything is probably better than an MR2, but in your case I'd try a second opinion, not because there's anything necessarily wrong with the first, but I would want to try and get as much information from as many experienced people as you can get. Above and beyond that I would try to research and investigate as much as you can yourself.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby camshaft » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Further info would help
Kms on car, engine ?

If it is a piston or wrist pin then it should do it on quick snap up to the rpm at idle.
Piston slap I have never heard from a mR2 before normally honda issue. But anything is possible
If only under load driving then possibly it's pinning/knocking?
I'm sure you can youtube the noise and try to Pin point something close.

No matter which route you take it's going to be worth more then the car to repair. So as always these days buying a older car is heavily influenced on the drive train. Because if any major repair is required then it makes it not worth it.
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby GokuMr2 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:10 pm

KMs on the engine are 266,668. I bought it from it's first owner, so I don't have to guess how many KMs are on the car.

camshaft wrote:If it is a piston or wrist pin then it should do it on quick snap up to the rpm at idle.

That's exactly how I would describe it. I also mentioned the rpms because that's when you can hear it the most when the engine is under load.
But, you can still hear it right at the start of acceleration when in idle.

There seems to be nothing wrong with the transmission, although the clutch will need to be replaced.
I'm most likely going to find another 4AGE with lower KMs and swap engines. While I have the engine & transmission out, I'll replace the clutch and flywheel.
Is there anything else I should do while I have both the engine & trans out?

Also, I would like to know how much it would cost to rebuild my current engine/if there's anyone here who would be able do it
GokuMr2

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk