Been a long time, need some toyota guru help

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Been a long time, need some toyota guru help

Postby _mr2_ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Hey,

So i am sure this is the wrong section and maybe the wrong forum, but i used to know you guys very well and know there are alot of very talented people here with alot of toyota knowlege, and i have been trying for months to get this to run right and im out of ideas.

A little background: I bought a 1989 BMW 325i, within 2 short weeks i was bored as normal and wanted to try doing something new/different. So, true to my history, one day i was almost out of gas and thought oh hey lets swap the engine. i pulled the BMW 2.5l inline 6 and stuffed a 3.0L 7MGTE into it :twisted: Long story short, modified engine mounts, custom tranny mount, a large hammer, and some swearing and i had a toyota powered bmw. :D

I tied everything in, finished all the wiring and driveshaft/Exhaust were welded up. Fired it up, YAY she run.....oh she doesnt. i have been over everything but for some reason i think i am clearly missing something.

1988 7mgte engine, rebuilt with mhg with w56 trans, running a fmic, lexus maf, stock ecu.

Heres the problem, The car is very hard to start, must play with the peddle alot and then once it does run it refuses to idle. The idle jumps up and down, less and less rpm until it dies. :?

Once running as long as i play with the peddle i can keep it running, and in gear driving down the road she is alot of fun, but the second i come to a stop the car dies unless i give it gas the whole time.

i may have missed some details, i appreciate any input in advance.

help me get this car running or i guess it will be sold off haha it is depressing looking at it beside the house and not driving it after all the work i have put in to it. :x

Thank you
Jordan

_mr2_
Junior '2

Re: Been a long time, need some toyota guru help

Postby camshaft » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:01 pm

This motor ran in the donor car?
What was changed from when it ran to the install now ?

Compression test or leak down test
Then check cam timing,
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby _mr2_ » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:11 pm

I never saw the motor run, but the guy I bought it from had it running before no problem as it was his sons car that got written off. Engine ran before pull.

No real changes pretty much left as stock except different intercooler as the stock one didnt work in the bmw.

Compression checks out no problem, I should check timing again though.
_mr2_
Junior '2

Postby camshaft » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:07 pm

If nothing was touched then it has to be a install problem

Wiring
Fuel pressure
Ecu wiring etc
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby Jonathan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Sounds to me like a vacuum leak. Hard to start, surging or no idle but runs fine under power?
What have you checked? everything?
Do you build boost pressure properly?
Can you install a vacuum gauge and check your vacuum?
Have you checked the PCV valve at the back of the intake manifold? posting.php?mode=edit&f=10&p=132329#
Jonathan

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk