Guage Cluster Re and Re 91 Turbo

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Postby MR2Turbo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:07 am

When I got my 91 USDM Turbo in May, the speedometer wasn't working. As I started driving it over the summer, it began to work and shake a little at certain speeds, run slow, run fast etc. Later around August, my RPM gauge wouldnt pass 3k, was showing a 500rpm idle, and my temperature guage doesnt reach 45-50% until about 40 minutes of driving (even on a hot day). Basically, everything in my gauge cluster is done (Car runs perfectly fine). I would like to fix it all rather than replace the whole cluster, mainly because I want the original odometer to still stay the same (the odometer was still working this whole time). Anyone know where I can get working parts for all the components in the cluster? I'd rather not do a 94 swap or buy a whole 91 cluster and transfer parts, so if anyone knows where I can get specific parts to fix the listed issues above, please let me know! :) Car's garaged for the winter now, so I have some time to learn and figure it all out.
MR2Turbo
Baby '2

Re: Guage Cluster Re and Re 91 Turbo

Postby Oteck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:57 am

speedometer
you may have to verify which part of the cable is damage, i have a new long cable that goes from the cluster side for sale.

temp gauge
try replacing the temp sensor on the water block ontop of the transmission

Tachometer
It could be a faulty igniter since it gets the signal from there

The worst case is the cluster itself is suffering from very old capacitors but you'll have to open it to check for leeks and seeps
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 am

Temp gauge could also be a thermostat stuck open, couldn't hurt to check/replace it if you don't know when it was replaced last.

If you need to replace your cluster you can always move the odometer over to the new cluster.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby adam » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:40 am

I have a mechanical Canadian cluster for sale, if you're interested. Km/h on top!
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby MR2Turbo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks guys
Oteck: I might hit you up for the long cable once I pull everything out and take a look
Russ: I did the thermostat in June, but I'll take a look at that just incase.
I didn't know I could use the old odometer in a different cluster.
DjTwinTurbo: Do you think it would get flagged at insurance/aircare/carfax if I put the old odometer (mph) in a Canadian cluster (km/h)?
MR2Turbo
Baby '2

Postby adam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Maybe just adjust the odometer to the correct reading in kms and go on from there or something?
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby MR2Turbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:40 pm

So before I even had a chance to tear down the cluster, I realized my idle is at 500-600rpm. I'm not sure if this is possibly due to the tachometer needing some tlc, or becuase of some other issue. Anything I can check to reassure myself it's actually the tachometer being stupid? The only thing I can think of is my apexi intake cone. It was dirty and I was planning to get a new one since the Apexi ones are not cleanable; and a buddy of mine decided to use a leaf blower or some cleaning kit thing on it, and I'm pretty sure he damaged it. Possibly the car is not getting air? I'm not too sure though. What else can I check..? Injectors?
MR2Turbo
Baby '2

Postby Goopi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:07 pm

To check your idle, just quickly hook on a timing gun, that should tell you whether your tachometer is off or not.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby camshaft » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

take the filter off and see what happens

Idle is controller by a number of factors, coolant temp sensor, idle control motor, TPS, ign timing

MR2Turbo wrote:So before I even had a chance to tear down the cluster, I realized my idle is at 500-600rpm. I'm not sure if this is possibly due to the tachometer needing some tlc, or becuase of some other issue. Anything I can check to reassure myself it's actually the tachometer being stupid? The only thing I can think of is my apexi intake cone. It was dirty and I was planning to get a new one since the Apexi ones are not cleanable; and a buddy of mine decided to use a leaf blower or some cleaning kit thing on it, and I'm pretty sure he damaged it. Possibly the car is not getting air? I'm not too sure though. What else can I check..? Injectors?
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby dh4ever » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

You can clean the apexi filters. Use a garden hose without a nozzel from the inside out. Then let it dry out.
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby MR2Turbo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Turns out there's no idle problem, just my tachometer. Stayed at less than 1k rpm when I took it for a spin when it was dry a couple days ago.
MR2Turbo
Baby '2

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk