91 Turbo no start: delearship techs ???

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

91 Turbo no start: delearship techs ???

Postby orangemica » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

yesterday as I was pulling out of a parking lot my baby died (91 turbo 160000km)no bang thud squile nothing, i tried starting it,couple sputters didnt start,I figured I broke the timing belt.I had the girl towed to a toyota dealership yesterday no problem,The dealership phoned at 4 and said the tech tried starting the car heard a noise that sounded like it was internal and the only thing they suggested is to pull the engine for rebuild.I asked if they checked the timing belt if it broke or skept, No it made a noise. :? :? Second oppinions anybody
orangemica
Baby '2

Re: delearship techs ???

Postby kakucaekz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Dunno about the rest, but I smell a greedy dealership haha. Better let someone like Cam or Jordan take a look at it before you go ahead with the dealer's suggested full on rebuild.
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Re: 91 Turbo no start: delearship techs ???

Postby camshaft » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am

Well I would recommend a second opinion as well

As normally a engine rebuild would be required if the engine was burning oil or lack of compression. Which happens over time....
For the engine to just die would be timing belt, ign, or fuel related problem.

drop me a email http://tinyurl.com/8pgeq66

orangemica wrote:yesterday as I was pulling out of a parking lot my baby died (91 turbo 160000km)no bang thud squile nothing, i tried starting it,couple sputters didnt start,I figured I broke the timing belt.I had the girl towed to a toyota dealership yesterday no problem,The dealership phoned at 4 and said the tech tried starting the car heard a noise that sounded like it was internal and the only thing they suggested is to pull the engine for rebuild.I asked if they checked the timing belt if it broke or skept, No it made a noise. :? :? Second oppinions anybody
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Re: 91 Turbo no start: delearship techs ???

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:40 am

I know a master Toyota tech who does work on the side and he helped rebuild my engine, and he has worked on these cars since new . He knows his stuff. PM me and we can help.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk