Battery relocation

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Battery relocation

Postby 7FigureSwagger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm

I want to get my battery out of the back so I can cut off the mount for more room, anyone have suggestions as to where to out the battery, and or how the eff to do it? I found a link saying that the mk1 has a 'passthru' in the frunk somewhere on that black relay tray thingy on the top left of the frunk. I have no idea where the thing is, or if u even have that in mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I know many of you have helped me out a lot already. It's an MK1a also.

Thanks, 7

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
'85 Mr2 - The O.G.
7FigureSwagger
Baby '2

Re: Battery relocation

Postby 7FigureSwagger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Also please forgive me if this is posted somewhere already, I tried searching it already :o

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
'85 Mr2 - The O.G.
7FigureSwagger
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

When I did it to my mk1's I put the battery in a box in place of the spare. If I remember right, the battery cable went through the front firewall near the gas pedal and the rear firewall near the engine lid release.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=904&hilit=battery+relocation
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby 7FigureSwagger » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:20 pm

ok cool, that gives me a start, but i realized i have to deal with a little rust hole starting in the bottom of frunk ( of course ), the only thing is I have no idea what it takes to properly ground a circut. At least i know what i need tho, I think ill grab all the parts and take it to my mechanic, I want it done right, and I dont want to fk something up, as I heard can happen when noobs muck around with electrical stuff.
'85 Mr2 - The O.G.
7FigureSwagger
Baby '2

Battery relocation

Postby SilverFire » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I just finished my battery relocation on Sunday. I removed my A/C while I was at it since I'm going pretty crazy on the rest of the car, and just ran the cable through one of the holes in the frunk for that and down under the car by the gas tank. As a side note, there's a bigger and smaller line for the A/C and the brackets that hold the bigger one fits 1/2"split loom (which is the size you want for #4 welding cable) perfectly.

If you want to run it through the passenger compartment, there's a pass-through from the frunk on the passenger side behind the glove box and heater core and another into the engine compartment behind the driver's seat about halfway up, but they're both rather small for the wire you need and shared with the rest of the harness. #4 is bare minimum. If you have any sort of stereo beyond stock, you might want to go for #2.

I ran the cable to the starter, put both the stock cable and the new one on the big lug. Then, I stripped back the harness from the positive terminal of the stock location, trimmed those two wires down and spliced them together. Since one of them is the wire from the battery to the starter and the other is the wires that goes to the fuse box and since they're the same size, that effectively splices the new wire into the rest of the system. Virtually painless and essentially invisible. The only concern is that you have to be careful where you run the new cable as it attaches to the starter. There's precious little space between the block and the exhaust if you have you starter in the stock location. I'll be getting one of Paul Woods' 6-speed LSD transmissions soon and when that goes in, the starter will move to the intake side side which should eliminate that issue, but if you have a double-bump bellhousing it's a relatively uncomplicated, though time consuming, switch.
SilverFire

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk