Damn aircare

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Damn aircare

Postby yeungun » Fri May 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Just read in the paper today that when the contract expires in 2014 (Dec 31st), they will go after the heavier polluters.

Skeptical at this point because aircare is such a cash cow they will find an excuse to keep it running.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/AirCar ... story.html
89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Damn aircare

Postby camshaft » Fri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Well the paper only said
" AirCare cost $63 million a year in tests, fees, repair costs, expenses and lost time."
And cost 19 mill to run so not sure what exact numbers for revenue collected.

The program had benefits and downfalls. I think the biggest was exclusion of heavy equipment. For the obvious reason they are more difficult to test. But left a bad taste in ever motorist month seeing black smoke chugging trucks all over.

Then the strange testing fee strategy of 46 test for two years.

I personally found that the system did find a number of poorly engineered vehicles. That after 10 years or so had some major polluting issues. Because of design flaws etc. and with out aircare would have never been discovered.

It's the big question money vs environment
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby Goopi » Sat May 26, 2012 2:50 am

I'm not a tree hugger or anything, but we really should take care of our environment. I'm not sure if not having emissions test actually makes a difference or not but I like the fact that it forces other people to get their cars running properly.

For me this is enough to keep it even though I'm not sure how entirely correct the information really is.
The Environment Ministry has estimated the AirCare program takes 20,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions out of the lower Fraser Valley airshed every year.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby dh4ever » Tue May 29, 2012 3:14 pm

those numbers relate to the vehicles being driven, when the program started in what, 92? most of the vehicles on the road at that time were from the 80's and 70's, how many were effecient fuel injected vehicles? how many had dual or tripple cats? how many had O2 sensors? now look at it, as you drive look around for older vehicles, its getting harder and harder to find a vehicle before OBDII, which has a better control system to notify drivers of isues, and even newer vehicles won't even run properly untill you repair the issue, the one in 15 car, previous to OBD2 is not going to be the MAJOR reason for CO2 emissions, it will be like others have said the large equipment, did you know city buses dont alway use deisel, it isnt uncommon for them to suplment it with bunkerfuel, which adds alot more emissions. as the years progress, vehicles have become even more effiecent, even a poorly running car now a days, VS a 70's car running right, your still going to have less emissions. but the 70's car will pass vs a malfunctioning modern car.

Another example, my Jeep that I bumped to a 4.7L engine size (because it has a stroker motor) passes aircare easily, my MR2 repeatedly failed on aircare, I still am not sure as to why. but, the jeep produces twice the emissions, with half the fuel economy, yet its easier to pass it? it polutes more, but aircare cares more about the mr2, the more efficent less poluting engine? the system has many flaws, and as vehicles become more computer controled, it takes more of the "Ted in the shed" mechanics out of the equation, which is a major reason aircare first came in.
dh4ever
Papa '2

Previous

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk