Should I get a fuel pump assembly or is just a fuel pump ok?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Should I get a fuel pump assembly or is just a fuel pump ok?

Postby alishawkat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:50 am

Hey guys, so I bought a 88 MR2 but the fuel pump doesn't work. So I was looking on craigslist and some guy is selling the pump for a good price. I have 3 questions,

1) How do I know if his fuel pump works?
2) My friend said it would be better to get a fuel pump with the assembly then just the fuel pump itself just to be on the safe side. How often is the problem with the actual fuel pump?
3) Can any pump from a MK1 work on a 88 supercharged?

Thank you
alishawkat
Baby '2

Re: Should I get a fuel pump assembly or is just a fuel pump

Postby immorality » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 am

1) For a used pump I guess you can test it with a 12v battery while having it submerged in gasoline.
2) The assembly will include the small strainer, you might as well get it since your car already has high mileage and it's not that much more money.
3) No, Toyota lists two different pumps, just call Alex at Michel's Toyota or go to www.1sttoyotaparts.com (or similar) and buy the correct pump.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby alishawkat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 am

I found out the pump I needed. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5 ... os_product just bought it. Now in addition to ordering this before I install it I want to make sure that the pump is actually the cause of the problem. The previous owner did have 3 MR2's and was a member on this forum so I trust what he says but he hasn't ran the car for almost 2 years. Right now the engine sounds like it's trying to start but it's not actually starting. Is there a simple way to make sure it's the fuel pump?

Thank you
alishawkat
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 am

Ya, disconnect a fuel line and point it into a bucket, then try starting the car. If there's lots of fuel the pump is fine.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk