air conditioner

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

air conditioner

Postby ellie king » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 am

Hi again - thanks for the help with the parts I needed. Have another question: my original 1991 MKII Turbo had air conditioner as standard. the one I've just bought is identical in every way with my first one except it doesn't have air. Did they ever make them without air? Is this perhaps not a Canadian car? Anyone know of a mechanic who can install air into my wee engine?
Thanks guys.
ellie king

Re: air conditioner

Postby macatak » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:07 pm

I believe A.C. was an option, at least on Canadian MR2's
If you still have the white sticker on the drivers door with a red maple leaf it's a Canadian car
sticker should also have a # like this SW21L-AJMZKK for an NA or this SW21L-AJMZZK for a turbo if its Canadian.
if the # ends with an A it is a US car.
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby ellie king » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Thank you for this. It ends with ZZK so it's a Canadian car! I had no idea air was an option. I need someone who can put one in for me. I have an old version of the same car I can use for parts but my mechanic won't touch the air conditioner!
ellie king

Postby Oteck » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm

it's time consuming to put a/c in the car. you also need to find out if there is pre-wires sor it. Im planning to do that to the white car (davids) but i need his go ahead first.
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby 2-yota » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:23 pm

To put A/C into your MKII, you better have a complete donor car with complete system. Otherwise, it will be a nightmare sourcing out all the individual parts from the junkyard. If you have all the parts, it's not too bad (... but still not too good either). The key is ALL the parts.

If you have ALL the parts, most things will plug right up to existing pre-wiring. That's if you have ALL the parts.
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm

If you're interested, my car has all the parts complete on it still, except the compressor. If you can source that, which shouldn't be too hard, I would gladly take off and sell you the rest. I don't use it, obviously.

Cheers.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby camshaft » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Just to confirm your question
AC was an option and was very expensive

ellie king wrote:Thank you for this. It ends with ZZK so it's a Canadian car! I had no idea air was an option. I need someone who can put one in for me. I have an old version of the same car I can use for parts but my mechanic won't touch the air conditioner!
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby kungfucop » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:22 pm

If you install A/C don't forget to swap in the A/C radiator thermistor/sensor which is different from the non A/C sensor. If you don't your A/C won't fire when you push the A/C button. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere in the BGB nor in the factory A/C installers manual.
- Jeff
Pale Yellow 91T
kungfucop
Baby '2

Postby adam » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:53 am

I believe the Air Conditioning option was actually port installed for Canadian market cars from an Accessory Kit. The operation of the AC system was actually different than US market factory installed air. I believe in the Accessory Kit, the AC would clutch off during high engine loading, where the factory installed air did not. I did see a fully AC Accessory Kit for sale quite some time ago, new in the box, but it was very expensive. I do have the original order sheet for '93 MR2s here somewhere, I can tell you exactly what the cost of the AC option for Canadian cars was that year, if I can find it.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby ellie king » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks to all. Sorry I've been offline: had a show up and that sucks all my time.

I do have my old MR2MKII which has air so I do have all the parts. My mechanic won't touch it though! I think I'll chase it all down in the new year when I have more time, but I thank everyone for all the help.
ellie king

Postby Oteck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:15 pm

I've finished piecing my a/c so now in just trying to find time to get my flex hose done along with some1 contempt to charge the system. most likely to happen after the paint job since im tearing the car to bare nothing

Got this lovely denso condenser i picked up today along with new R134a orings
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk