BCMR2 Group Behavior

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

BCMR2 Group Behavior

Postby sprinterkb » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:28 pm

I waited a while (To cool off) before i posted this one:
I think the group should think about having a code of ethics relating to behavour when we are out and about as a group.
Any of you who attended the Earls lunch observed one of our members doing an extended burnout with his front drive winter beater... i must say i was shocked :(
this type of behavour reflects on all of us and with all the bad press about street racing could give the wrong image to john public...
comments? :?
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby dickchow » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:27 pm

hmm.....I was shocked too :o

We should burn out in a safer place instead..

hmm....
i dun know what other ppl think....I think it is no good to burn out in public place :(
1989 Super White MR2 Supercharged
dickchow
Papa '2

hmmm...

Postby Narfy » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:16 pm

hmmmm.... sprinterkb's bringing up a very good point... as the person who laid 30 feet of rubber on a public parking lot floor, i feel that i'm setting the wrong example for members of the group... it won't happen again... i must say that following the driving habbits and behavior of some people i'm often around doesn't go well in a group that's trying to establish itself as a safe, fun group against street racing...

having said this, it doesn't remove me from all wrong... i'm just saying this because i never considered the "public image" of the group in such a way that sprinterkb's brought up... sprinterkb's bringing up a very good point... something i'm now considering and somethign we all should... why all the rediculously loud exhaust systems?? why lay 30 ft. of rubber in places it doesn't belong?? does it really suit the group's profile?? is there even a group profile?? should we make rules for group behavior??

i'm up to following any guidelines laid out, if any... maybe the executive commitee should have a meeting and set out a set of do's and don'ts... suggestions??
i eat waaaaay too much sushi...
2nd place best stock MKI at BC2004...
fng@regencyauto.com
Narfy
BCMR2 Sponsor

Postby drscam » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:25 pm

Here are quotes taken from the other thread that was started on the same topic:

drscam wrote:
Mike wrote:i'm gonna have to agree. As a matter of fact, there was some guy in a jeep that was doing burnouts, we had NOTHING to do with it :)

I was not going to bring this up at this time; however, Mike seems to have opened a window here...(it was not only the jeep that was at fault here... please do NOT flame these members... I am only posting here to ask your assistance to improve upon this for future meets:

We will really have to watch our conduct at ALL future BCMR2 meets. Things like burnouts, wreckless driving, showboating, high revving of engines when stationary, or any other common sense items that bring negative attention to us needs to cease.

We do not want our name associated with other clubs with bad names (we all know who they are and there is no need to mention them here).

This club is intended to be fun and for owners and enthusiasts of the MR2. We want to be known for our civility, dignity, etc and not as another rice import auto club.

This is not intended to flame anyone... Just bringing this information to the table for discussion.

The board is currently reviewing guidlines to maintain the FUN status of our meets while still having a bit of structure.

Something to think about....

Mike wrote:I think that it's a good idea not to showboat or do burnouts etc, in public places. Although it's fun and we all laugh and then gag on the rubber fumes, i'm sure it pisses a lot of people off. That sort of thing is something that you can do in more remote sections of town, or where there is nobody around except us.

I don't think reving your engine while stationary is that big of a deal.

drscam wrote:Burnouts are fun....They have their place a track...a private functioned parking lot...somewhere we do not have to worry about mall security or police chasing us out.

We do not want a bad name...we may need to seel permission of Malls for upcoming meets and do not want then to say "No" because we find ourselves with a bad name.

As for revving of engines...I feel this also has a place and time....a parking lot where it disturbs the public is not what I would consider the place.

We just need to consider other's feelings when iniating in FUN activities.

YSG wrote:...I really think from now on the '2 meets should be a little lower key. ie. no peelouts in urban areas and parking lots - One of my friends works for Abbotsford Police department, and they DID receive calls about "reckless stunts" (?!) at SevenOaks mall last weekend from a "Toyota Club". I left that meet early before the drive, but I suspect it must have been regarding the '2s that met at Earls. ?????! ...

EDstacy wrote:
drscam wrote:As for revving of engines...I feel this also has a place and time....a parking lot where it disturbs the public is not what I would consider the place.

I agree completely with the above!

Rather, it's place belongs at a red light beside a 5.0L four years ago!

Seriously speaking, as mentioned by others many times before, what seems harmless to one may be viewed as a nuisance/danger by others. Just remember that when you're out representing the BC MR2 Group that you represent it as a whole! What you do when you're alone, the group could care less (so long as you remove the BCMR2.com plate frame from your car before you rob a bank!).
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:33 pm

This topic has been discussed in a few threads since last weekend (including one on the board members have access to). I have consolidated the comments from the other thread (now deleteed).

I am happy to hear Narfy state that this will be a one-time affair; this is a really mature attitude and I applaud him for being able to admit this in an open forum. This was NOT entirely his fault. We are not here to pass blame either. If we (as a group) can learn from this experience, then this will be forgotten.

As an FYI, the board will come up with a set of guidelines for future meets that will keep our meets FUN, while maintaining BCMR2 morals.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby immorality » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:49 pm

I have heard of some clubs that kick out members that have been seen "street racing".

I also think that a loud exhaust isn't something that should be considered a big deal. I myself do have a rather loud exhaust system. This wasn't something that I perticularly set out to achieve, but rather a cheap way to have some kind of exhaust system.

While revving an engine at 6-7k rpm may be annoying to some people it is not something that I perticularily do for any length of time (ie. 10-20min). Although I will happily rev it up if someone is curious about the sound.

Do you get pissed of when someone's car has a nice stereo system and they turn it up so someone elose can listen to it. It's not like it's being used as a jukebox for a few hours at a meet.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby 2-yota » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:50 pm

immorality wrote:Do you get pissed of when someone's car has a nice stereo system and they turn it up so someone elose can listen to it. It's not like it's being used as a jukebox for a few hours at a meet.

YES ... when there are people of the public in the vicinity that don't appreciate it. Even if its only for 10 seconds ... if it disturbs them, then it also disturbs me. You know, it all really depends on where you are! Some places may be more acceptable than others ... it's a fine line thats hard to distinguish most of the time. So use your own discretion.

Same with a loud exhaust ... nothing wrong with it on a car but it's all in how you use it. A gun doesn't kill people. It's the person who pulls the trigger.
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby Jaysonn » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:05 pm

Just gotta use common sense is about it... Only rule you need really is common sense...
91 Yellow N/A
Jaysonn
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:02 am

Jaysonn wrote:Just gotta use common sense is about it... Only rule you need really is common sense...

unfortunately when there is a large group it takes only one person to lose his or her common sense...before you know it there are four members doing the same thing....
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:15 pm

once again, another one of my threads gets deleted. This is getting a touch on the ridiculous side now.

Like i said in my original thread, there is a time and a place for burnouts etc. I don't think loud exhausts or loud systems or high revs are out of the ordinary. It's not like the bcmr2 club is comprised of F1 cars with ear shattering exhaust. The negative things, like burnouts, streetracing etc, are what brings a bad name to the club. People with deafening, excessively loud HORNS should not be honking them in an enclosed area either. Narfy apologized, and now realizes the consquences of his actions. Just use a little common sense and there shouldn't be any problems!

YSG, i don't know who your source is in the abby pd, but he was wrong. I had dinner w/ 2 constables and a SGT that night and they were just reporting to a disturbance over by the back entrance (near GAP). It had nothing to do with the mr2 club. Abby PD is really laid back when it comes to that kind of stuff, or at least they have been in the past. I know most of the guys on the force, so i don't think we would have been in toooo much trouble ;)

Cheers
Mike Lane
www.mr2boards.com Administrator
Mike
Junior '2

Postby 88sc » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:07 pm

[quote="Mike"]once again, another one of my threads gets deleted. This is getting a touch on the ridiculous side now.

"this is very true"

I agree with this and all of the above, even though I wasn't at this meet, some of the people that I talked to about the meet told me about these events. We need to really keep that good repore with the public so we're not stereo typed as the usuall car group that is reckless and into street racing.
1990 Celica GTS

http://toymr2sc.7h.com
88sc
Baby '2

Postby 2-yota » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:08 pm

Mike wrote:once again, another one of my threads gets deleted. This is getting a touch on the ridiculous side now.

Actually, I think drscam just cut-and-pasted your original thread comments and fused it into this thread (see his "cut-outs" above). All your previous insights are still preserved!
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby sprinterkb » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:01 pm

Great to hear we all feel the same... noisy exhaust, music can be tolerated by most. i think one great comment was use a good dose of common sense was all thats required :)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby sean » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:23 am

ok, so now that everyone is agreeing, can we lock this thread?

I think everyone gets the picture. Common sense should govern what we do, so we can continue to have fun without worries about getting a bad name for our cars and the club.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Return to General Discussion