Good 3SGTE mechanics?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Good 3SGTE mechanics?

Postby alishawkat » Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Hey guys is there a good mechanic you can trust with 3SGTE's here's in the lower mainland?

thanks
alishawkat
Baby '2

Re: Good 3SGTE mechanics?

Postby immorality » Sun May 08, 2016 8:23 pm

The short answer is that there aren't any. Most owners try and learn and do as much as they can themselves with advice from forums.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby alishawkat » Tue May 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Damm one of my rod bearings is slightly loose but I caught it before it spun. Was hoping someone could check it out for me and see if my crank is still good.
alishawkat
Baby '2

Postby ReDRuM » Wed May 11, 2016 10:26 am

look up Force fed in Abbotsford
Manj
ReDRuM Racing Ltd
ReDRuM
Junior '2

Postby Bravo 5 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Is Cam (camshaft) no longer doing any work? He's always done great work for me.
1985 MR2, 1989 SC, 1991 n/a
Collector of MR2 memorabilia
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby alishawkat » Thu May 12, 2016 12:48 am

ReDRuM wrote:look up Force fed in Abbotsford

I would but I'm in Richmond. Towing there would be really expensive.

Bravo 5 wrote:Is Cam (camshaft) no longer doing any work? He's always done great work for me.

Tried contacting him but he doesn't do work anymore :(
alishawkat
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Thu May 12, 2016 1:16 pm

If you can get up to BBY, then I would recommend The Speed Syndicate. For Richmond, you could always try Garage5.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby RePete » Fri May 13, 2016 6:31 am

Keep in mind it's just a factory Toyota engine and not some specialty Indy motor like some of us seem to treat it.

When my long term mechanic semi-retired from performing work, I hunted around on forums, CL, word-of-mouth and other places and found a few 'backyard' autotechs who were just as capable, just as talented and just as impassioned. In fact, they were thrilled to work on a mid-engine turbocharged car which was a nice change for them from the boring front engine, front drive sedans they normally work on. So don't be afraid to try a few of them before you settle.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby alishawkat » Tue May 17, 2016 7:28 pm

RePete wrote:Keep in mind it's just a factory Toyota engine and not some specialty Indy motor like some of us seem to treat it.

When my long term mechanic semi-retired from performing work, I hunted around on forums, CL, word-of-mouth and other places and found a few 'backyard' autotechs who were just as capable, just as talented and just as impassioned. In fact, they were thrilled to work on a mid-engine turbocharged car which was a nice change for them from the boring front engine, front drive sedans they normally work on. So don't be afraid to try a few of them before you settle.

Could you hook me up with one? I've almost got scammed by a craigslist mechanic before so i'd rather use someone recommended.

Thanks
alishawkat
Baby '2

Postby entrax » Thu May 26, 2016 2:39 pm

try contacting Oscar at Acutech in Richmond. his son is on the forum (kakucaekz) and i'm sure they're fairly comfortable with mr2's now with a rebuild/clutch/turbo work being done on a fairly stock car
entrax
Baby '2

Postby Oteck » Sun May 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Finding a good mechanic is like finding a Family doctor these days, I use to do a lot of things ways back in burnaby but i'm just burned out right now and can't really bother to work on anything but my own mess of a project. It's sad how the years roll over but people have to move on and find other things they'd rather do
(like procrastinate)
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby alishawkat » Tue May 31, 2016 5:45 pm

Oteck wrote:Finding a good mechanic is like finding a Family doctor these days, I use to do a lot of things ways back in burnaby but i'm just burned out right now and can't really bother to work on anything but my own mess of a project. It's sad how the years roll over but people have to move on and find other things they'd rather do
(like procrastinate)

Dayumm I remember you Oteck it's been a while since I last had an MR2. I tried calling accutech but he just forwarded me to another shop. I'm guessing there's nobody on here that would work on these cars for $? I'd like to see if I can get away with the main and rod bearings replaced but every shop wants to do a complete rebuild. It's an Aw11 with a 3SGTE swap which is why I'd like it if the person knew about Mr2's.
alishawkat
Baby '2

Postby Oteck » Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 pm

your better off dropping it yourself and send it to a reputable rebuilder, even i won't go that deep into a rebuild. The clutch job i need to do on a friends car is just as daunting as the stripping process on my car so i can get it painted
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Return to General Discussion