Is this the clutch? Synchro's? Fluid?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Is this the clutch? Synchro's? Fluid?

Postby todzilla » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 am

kay so I have had my '94 JDM MR2 since Xmas and so far, I'm loving it! No issues, great on gas, quick (surprisingly, for no boost!) - and still looks great when shined up!

But, I fear the clutch is on its way out. I honestly didn't even notice upon a test drive, though being new to RHD, I didn't really open her up and notice the slippage in the upper revs when the 2-3 shift was made. Though I do recall the pedal grabbed fairly high up so I suspected it may be impending...I worked out a better price because of my suspicions.

So, because I'd like to get a little more life out of her til I do the clutch, I have been babying the car - for the most - and very rarely tap into her. It hasn't seemed to have worsened, but here's a new rub.

As of the past month or so, the 4 to 3 (or 5 to 3) downshift results in a pretty pronounced gear crunch/grind before settling into 3rd, no matter the revs or subtlety of transition. It doesn't do this at all from 2 to 3, only on the way back to first.

At first I figured it was a transmission issue, but then I thought the clutch slave may be gone. The I read that it is fairly common on MR2's to have this grinding, and switching to GM synchromesh fluid really helps eliminate this. In otherwords, opinions all over the map.

I would suspect it's also probably just a sign that the clutch is really nearing its' life span, and this is yet another sign, so I'd best do that asap, but if it essentially drives quite fine otherwise - and zero grinding in any other gears - I'd rather hold off til it slips in all gears before I dump a grand into a new clutch, if it's a relatively minor issue. I'm not cheap, but prudent ;)

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated!
todzilla

Re: Is this the clutch? Synchro's? Fluid?

Postby immorality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:31 am

Well a crunch while shifting is a different issue than clutch slip, it's the synchro rings in the transmission wearing out. It's common on MR2's and yes, the synchromesh helps, as does the Redline MT90, and a few others. The fluid just masks the problem for a while, but a worn out part is a worn out part. Synchro's are part of a transmission rebuild, so they are an labour intensive replacement. Fortunately they do seem to last quite a long time even when you do get the crunching sound.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby todzilla » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanx man. I was actually leaning towards it being a worn synchro. The car has right around 100K miles so it's not unlikely that's the cause...especially given the potential for misaligned 2 to 3 shifts being a RHD car! haha

So is this the type of thing (fluid swap/addition?) that can be tackled at any basic garage? I'm not allowed to tool at my condo so it has to be done at a shop? If so, any good ones you can reco right in the Van area?
todzilla

Postby immorality » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 am

Yes, the fluid change is very simple. The only shop in the area that comes to mind (that I've had success with) is SpeedSyndicate.
immorality

Postby todzilla » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanx! I'll give them a shout.

Cheers!
todzilla

Postby immorality » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:57 pm

I've been very happy with the Redline MT-90, and although I've tried a couple of others, I keep coming back to it. It's a little pricey, like any higher end fluid, but I fully believe it's worth the money. Much like motor oil, I stock up when in the states.
immorality

Postby todzilla » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:10 pm

So am I only adding this, or completely flushing the old out and replacing it with synchromesh or redline? Any idea how much i'd need if the latter? I
todzilla

Postby immorality » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm

I would replace the fluid (drain & refill). Locally Redline retails for around $20/L.
immorality

Postby todzilla » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:30 pm

Yikes! I assume I need what, 5 liters?
todzilla

Postby MRII » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:17 am

I use Redline oil (lightweight shock proof) for a '93 e153 w/lsd. I had hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Mopac was the cheapest place I found, phone Lordco and Mopac to compare prices.
IIRC, the e153 took 3 1/2 bottles. I would recommend buying a magnetic drain plug for the diff too.
MRII
Junior '2

Postby immorality » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:01 am

todzilla wrote:Yikes! I assume I need what, 5 liters?

Your's is a non-turbo, right? I believe the owners manual lists the capacity for the S54 transmission as 2.6L. The E153 in the turbo is 3.8L IIRC.
immorality

Postby todzilla » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 am

It's a JDM not turbo, though a '94 so I'm not sure if the 'later' MK2 has increased capacity? Sadly, I don't have an owners manual, but I'll grab 3 liters. =)
todzilla

Postby entrax » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Mt-90 does wonders for crunchy S54s. it takes about a month or so to really feel any difference. Driver's Edge Motorsport on Boundary (between Audi and BMW) has them decently cheap. I got 4 bottles for $84 tax in.
entrax
Baby '2

Return to General Discussion