how dangerous is the mr2 for a first boosted car?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

how dangerous is the mr2 for a first boosted car?

Postby jlopatriello » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:16 am

hey so im looking to buy an mr2

but i have a few questions, maybe someone can help?
this will be my first boosted car and second modified car. had a riced civic before ahah
ive been looking up things about the mr2 and heard the snap oversteer is very dangerous?
is this hard to avoid or is it rare to snap oversteer?
just want to make sure im not going to die in my first boosted car.
wanting it to do some grip driving and track days.

also want a project i can learn to build on.
ive been looking at a nice starting car, ive heard its known as jerry's old car?
maybe someone knows something about it?
one thing is when i test drove it it didnt seem to make much of any power
it has intercooler,exhaust, intake, boost controller, fcd etc
could a dyno tune make the power come on more?
my 2008 rabbit seems faster and its not a gti.
what kind of power can the stock engine handle anyways? if i was to upgrade turbo later on.

thanks anything helps,

Justin
jlopatriello

Re: how dangerous is the mr2 for a first boosted car?

Postby immorality » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:28 am

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=231

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/232-M ... -First-Car

This has been covered to death and you will find some good summaries in the links above, but in short, it has nothing to do with boost and everything to do with not driving like a retard. Stupid things happen to stupid people for a reason. Learn about what "snap oversteer" really is, and it's not an issue. It's easily avoided if you drive appropriate to the conditions. The "snap oversteer" is driver induced. It's all about weight transfer and those four little rubber contact patches your tires make with the road surface.

Getting into an MR2 will certainly be a project, at best these cars are 20 years old, so while they can be quite reliable, you can't be surprised when something wears out or breaks. All the guys that have been around a while know Jerry's car, and that Harrison owns is now. It doesn't seem like a lot of power because it's not, and you are comparing it to newer stuff. That Rabbit is made for mid range torque, the MR2, while not a slouch needs time to make it's power.

Yes a dyno tune could make more power, but you would need a new ECU to tune it, $$$. The stock engine can handle as much power as you can afford. Most people that modify a 2nd gen turbo are still under 300hp, but that still makes for a quick car. Stock fuel components run out around 270~hp.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Re: how dangerous is the mr2 for a first boosted car?

Postby Goopi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:14 am

Grab one while they're still available. :P

My Turbo MR2 is the first car I had and it's been great! As long as you learn the dynamics of the car (in safe setting) you should be fine and as long as you never skimp out on tires.

People have been satisfied with using it as both a daily and track days.
Goopi
Papa '2

Return to General Discussion