New to forum...and soon to be, Mk2 MR2?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: New to forum...and soon to be, Mk2 MR2?

Postby entrax » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:03 am

dont keep your options local. we've had forum members venture south of the border as well. at 5-6k, you could find yourself a nice reliable n/a that is more exclusive to have (94/95 models?)
entrax
Baby '2

Postby todzilla » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:12 pm

If this were a big ticket (or at least, bigger - E35 or E46 M3/MK 5 GTI, etc....) - I'd be inclined, but for the hassle and relatively slim savings at this price point, I'd just as soon stay local, if possible =)
todzilla

Postby immorality » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Well, the exchange rate doesn't help things either. Anyways, our monthly meet is tomorrow night, so if you want to come out, meet some owners and ask some questions, then feel free.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby FrozenMR2 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:36 pm

I haven't driven a Turbo MR2 so my opinion might change, but I am certainly happy with my 91NA. Of the few minor things I could gripe about, lack of power isn't one of them. Mine is bone stock, right down to the original 14" wheels (which gotta go..) and I wouldn't change much on it. It has 251,000km and compression is still in spec. I pulled the tranny this year and had it rebuilt with new bearings, synchros etc. and also replaced the timing belt, water pump, oil pump, all idlers/seals/gaskets and alternator just as a maintenance precaution. The rest of the items were cosmetic (door handle bezels) and the wiring harness in the drivers door, and basic tune up stuff (plugs/wires/rotor/cap/filters/lube everything). It was my daily driver this year and I put about 18,000km on it since march.

The only gripe I have is that it is a bit low geared for the boring straight flat roads here in Alberta. Traffic is routinely running at 130kph and at that speed I'm hitting 4000rpm or more. When I move up to 16" wheels, I may upsize a bit on the back just to drop the rpm a little. I may have been lucky so far, but I have had no difficulties getting parts, including interior trims (which I can't get for wifey's mid-2000's Blazer), and have been able to put new parts in everywhere.

bud

ps I'm hoping to drive out to the coast this coming spring to meet up with the gang.
Bud
'91 MR2 NA - stock
'00 KLR650
'14 Elantra GT
FrozenMR2

Postby todzilla » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:11 am

Looks like I'm getting a day plate to take that black '91 n/a for a good long drive on Sat. Based on his records of maintenance and after giving it a pretty thorough going over, inside and out, I'll probably use my intuition based on my previous (way too many) cars. If no glaring red flags pop up, I'll probably make an offer and enjoy it for what it is. We'll see what happens =)

Btw - if there is anyone here that wants to make a few bucks (I will seriously pay you) - the car is near Fraser and 33rd. If you're free to give it a lookover while I plate it, I'll be there at around 1-1:30 Saturday. This is assuming you know these cars well! Just throwing it out thee.
todzilla

Postby driftingsw21 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Just make sure the body is straight the rest could be sorted out. If you buy a NA car the engine is bullet proof unless some idiot puts a turbo onto them then it's a ticking time bomb. To have a good 5sfe engine that is LEAK FREE!! Do the following, is it easy well if you could do it with just basic hand tools and common sense then I say yes. Don't buy these cars if you lack basic auto mechanic skills as well you will be bent over at most any shop and very few will know what they are doing.

New PCV valve
New PCV Groment
New Rear Main Seal
New Oil Pump Gasket (where most of all the oil leaks from!!!!!)
New Oil Pump Seal
New Cam Seals
New Distributor O-Ring
New Spark Plug Tube Gaskets
New Valve Cover Gasket
FIPG at the corners of the valve cover
While there
New water pump
New timing belt
New t-stat
Flush system with Toyota Red
Did all of this in my first 48 hours of buying my 94 and it runs like a top and doesn't leak even a single drop of oil.
New alternator/drive belts

These cars are actually very easy to work on, but have their quirks. Jumping head long into them and getting a "cheap" turbo would be ill advised. This is why I like to buy cars from people I personally know. If not I buy from an enthusiast someone that knows their car very well. Hell if you want I'll sell you my 94 NA 8k US and it's yours.
97 SC300 Because DD with some space
95 Sunroof Because Show Car
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby todzilla » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:21 pm

I think we may have a car ;) Just in the final stages of working out a price, but should be a go! Thanx for all the input and advice guys. You've definitely opened my eyes!
todzilla

Postby todzilla » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Attention driftsw21 - I'm trying to pm you but it won't work!? Can you please email me at toddzilla692002@gmail.com? A few enquiries for ya! =)

~T~
todzilla

Postby Saiko » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Todzilla, have you found a MK2 yet? Are you strictly into N/A or Turbo is still in your consideration? Are you seeking a fixer upper or a mint mister 2?
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby todzilla » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi. Still looking. I prefer a car that's good to go, essentially. Maybe a few minor tweaks and repairs as I drive it, but nothing badly 'in need' And although I'd prefer a turbo for the punch, a n/a is probably a safer bet. You know of anything?
todzilla

Postby Saiko » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Check pm.
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby todzilla » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:43 pm

I have no idea why I can't pm anyone on here. so I can't reply to your pm, but from the sounds of it, your car might be needing a bit too much attention for me to get into. I'm pretty anal about my cars so they do need to be very clean and not in too much need.

Much thanx for the message though!
todzilla

Postby Saiko » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 am

not a problem, hope you find the right one!
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Sent you email / pm hope I could help you out however I can. Take your time finding the right one. Ignore the miles, but look for how well maintained the car is. How did it spend it's life, and more importantly who used to own the car. I'll say this when I bought my 94 I didn't even bother with the test drive or to look at the car. Knowing the previous owner, being there to help them work on the car helps.

I did the same thing on another car just recently. Yet if I say what it is Russ and Duncan might crap themselves. :twisted: Hint it's stable mate was a Lambo
97 SC300 Because DD with some space
95 Sunroof Because Show Car
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Previous

Return to General Discussion