New to forum...and soon to be, Mk2 MR2?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

New to forum...and soon to be, Mk2 MR2?

Postby todzilla » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:26 am

OK, so after countless German cars (BMW's, 'ghetto' Porsches, VW's..) and many Mustangs, I am thinking of dipping my toes in and finally going to the rising sun side and getting a Toyota - a nice mk2 MR2 would fit the bill, I'm thinking! I've always had a soft spot for them, especially the turbo's, and it seems they are priced very well right now, so figure it's as good a time as any?

My last car was a mint '86 944 Turbo (my 2nd) and I loved it. I just sold it to a guy in Virginia (yes, he flew in and drove it back...3200 miles!!) Now I am free to invest in an MR2. But first, some questions.

I know doing a ppi is important on these as I'm sure they're a little pricey to keep up, especially if neglected. I corresponded with a very well known MR2 service guru on here (I'm sure you all know who I refer to) - and he actually made me quite leery about a car I am considering. This car -

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/4731739126.html

(Fear not, the stock wheels are back on!)

Not so much as a warning about this car, but he is saying that the few issues I have after test driving it could be the start of problems. The aftermarket exhaust vibrated off-idle at a certain rpm (I checked the tailpipes snugness and it was very tight, so I suspect a clearance issue somewhere in the new set-up.) Then there was a noticeable hesitation when you quickly blipped the throttle at around 2000 rpm. It cleared up on the upper end, and if you gradually depressed the throttle to get the revs up, there wasn't the stumble? She drove well otherwise.

Then there is the big thing (according to him) That is has 200K. Now, my Porsche has 151000 miles, and it ran flawlessly, so I'd expect a Toyota to easily match a P-cars in longevity, provided it's been maintained - which I truly believe it has. The owners not a kid, and the condition externally is really good. I've had enough cars to know this wasn't beaten on.

But is 200K (km's) something to worry about? I got the impression that the motor will probably be due for a rebuild in another 40-50k? I just thought Toyota's legendary reliability meant these mills should be good for 500K if kept up?

Am I nuts to think of this car as a reliable daily driver?

Sorry so long, but any advice or input is greatly appreciated..and maybe a good place to get that car ppi'd?

~T~
todzilla

Re: New to forum...and soon to be, Mk2 MR2?

Postby entrax » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Welcome to the forum! I was about to suggest the same car.

Aftermarket exhausts generally have a few issues here and there as there is a lot of exhaust piping in a small amount of space. Majority of the culprit lies where the piping goes over the rear subframe/crossmember along with the tow hooks just above the dual exits. As for the hesitation, it can be maintenance related, seeing as it is at 200k.

I would do a compression test just to see the condition of the motor. 3S motors are quite reliable given that it has been maintained. The non-turbo motor (5S-FE) regularly strives to hit the half million mark, but the turbo motor peaks from what I've seen around the MR2/Celica circles at about 300k, which is quite good considering how much power is being squeezed out of these engines for 20+ years. Preventative maintenance goes a long way for the turbo motor. I don't think it is too pricy to keep up, it is more labour intensive rather than parts costing a lot, so a lot of DIY repairs will go a long way. With any car at 200k, things like bushings, alternator, clutch, timing belt, wp, hydraulic items, and of course rust comes into play. With the t-top, don't expect a completely waterproof seal. Watch for rust in the sills just in front of the rear wheels (especially the drivers side due to the gas filler above that area)

A lot of the younger BCMR2 owners such as myself daily drive our MR2s, including myself. I've done 30k's since June 2013 and at 147k, I've just changed oil, tires, and brakes. I even drove it through winter last year (they're surprisingly good). I have the opportunity to park the 2 for this winter and I'm currently changing out the original 24 year old clutch (my build date was 5/90) because I sort of destroyed it with some autocross enthusiasm. Even though unnecessary at this time, I will be doing my timing belt/wp about 40k's early only because of an oil leak on the timing side of the motor as part of my active preventative maintenance for this car (previous owner didn't get the oil pump seal changed when the last timing belt was changed 6 years ago).

I hope that helps you with some insight on the MR2 in general and a glimpse of what to expect. There seems to be a lot of potential for the white 2 you've posted.

Best of luck!
entrax
Baby '2

Postby todzilla » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Much thanx for that reply!

I am thinking that at 200K - pending a compression (leakdown?) test, that car may be a smart buy, so long as those few issues aren't a pain to remedy.

What I'm wondering is, other than a dealership, is there a good shop that can ppi this car in the Vancouver area?

~T~
ps - and tonight I found this...gorgeous color! Someone on here?
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4736595238.html
todzilla

Postby MRII » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:16 am

Welcome to the forum.The MR2 is a very under rated car, is handles and performs nicely as long as it has been taken care of.

From my experience with a 1993 MR2 turbo. Areas to look at, is a head gasket external leak on the driver side of the block, look to see if it is wet. Timing belt, and related parts, has been replaced or needs to be replaced. Clutch master and slave cyls. for leaks and condition of the coolant. Maintenance/ignition parts up to date, I replace my plugs every spring and the cap and rotor every 2 years. Plug wires and fuel filter every 3 years.

I DD mine for 2 years when I purchased it and it handled well, check the t-tops weatherstripping if any leaks when it rains, you can try to lube them with Honda Shin-etsu grease.

And as you already know from the 944, boost is addicting.
MRII
Junior '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 am

That's a Holy Grail mr2 when it comes to options. Turbo, White, Full options BLACK interior. Buy IT fix it enjoy it. All mr2's due to age buy fix everything. I don't care what people say or think but things go bad over time. Sports cars need overhauls time to time, mr2's are no different. 200km, or 124miles is nothing for the mr2. It will still be good for many years to come. Yet just know there will be "little" things to get fixed if you are OCD and demand Perfect, like some people hell most of the "old" members are like this so you will be in good company.
97 SC300 Because DD with some space
95 Sunroof Because Show Car
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby Cameron » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:09 pm

todzilla wrote:Much thanx for that reply!
I am thinking that at 200K - pending a compression (leakdown?) test, that car may be a smart buy, so long as those few issues aren't a pain to remedy.
What I'm wondering is, other than a dealership, is there a good shop that can ppi this car in the Vancouver area?
~T~
ps - and tonight I found this...gorgeous color! Someone on here?
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4736595238.html

If you're looking for an inspection, I'd go to Cam.

Nice Looking 93 there. There were a few nice upgrades done to the 93's, but odd that they mention "original" Tropical Blue Metallic. 8B6 - Topical Blue Metallic was only available on a 94-95 MR2 so if it's a 93, the chances of it being original are pretty slim.
http://www.toyotareference.com/mr2/1991-1995
95 MR2
Cameron
MR2 know it all

Postby todzilla » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:33 pm

From what I've heard of him, he is the go-to guy for these. Dumb question, but any idea his shops' name? :mrgreen:

(and for what it's worth, saw that blue one tonight. Very nice car but the paint mismatch would drive me nuts! Too bad....)
todzilla

Postby ZerA » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:19 am

He doesn't have a shop. He works out of his home. I would just PM him.
-Thomas
1990 Toyota MR2 GT JDM Hardtop - Summer Cruiser
1983 Honda Civic 5spd - Winter Grinder SOLD
ZerA
Papa '2

Postby entrax » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:49 pm

from what I've heard on the forums, don't let the "he works out of his home" part dissuade you, top notch work from him.
entrax
Baby '2

Postby camshaft » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:30 am

I believe todzilla has contacted me a couple times about a pre purchase inspection. As always I recommend a inspection before purchase but sometimes difficult to iron out. But on a 1991 car I would say its a must being the last one I did was 5-6 pages long.

Cheers
C

todzilla wrote:From what I've heard of him, he is the go-to guy for these. Dumb question, but any idea his shops' name? :mrgreen:

(and for what it's worth, saw that blue one tonight. Very nice car but the paint mismatch would drive me nuts! Too bad....)
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby immorality » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:11 am

Yup, the biggest problem is that as these cars age, people are much less likely to maintain them as well as they should. Whichever car you decide to buy will likely need a fair amount of maintenance upon purchase. If a car is actually well maintained then it will be quite a nice reliable car.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby todzilla » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:18 am

Thanx for all the input and advice guys - and especially Cam (got your emails)

I think I might hold out for a n/a MK2 as I don't need all the power, what with Winters approach, and even at 145 (?) I'm sure they're no slouches. Plus, avoiding all the turbo related issues, it'll probably be a 'safer' bet as a fun, good looking daily.

Will keep you posted....or if anyone knows of anything, hit me up!

Cheers!
todzilla

Postby immorality » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:15 am

An NA MK2 is a great daily and quite underrated by the turbo fans. It's not fast, but it's quick, nimble and far easier on the pocketbook! They will handle the same or better (slightly lighter weight), and are more competitive in autox, if you are into that.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby Cameron » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:08 am

It's not an N/A but have you looked at this one? I know he put a tonne of money into getting this where it is and it one a few awards years back at the BCMR2 events:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/4689146416.html
95 MR2
Cameron
MR2 know it all

Postby todzilla » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm sure that's a mint example, but I'm looking for a car closer to the prices of my previous two examples (above) Which is why I'm reconsidering a turbo. At $6K, there's bound top be a fair deal of work to get the car up to snuff, but on an n/a, at $5-6K, I'm sure I could find a sweet car! Here's a new one that's popped up -

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4742281191.html

...as much as I always say avoid black cars! :roll:
todzilla

Next

Return to General Discussion