B.C. Engine Importers?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

B.C. Engine Importers?

Postby mr2turbo3 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Hello all BCMR2ers! My name is Doug and I live south of the border in Seattle, WA. I've been a lurker on here for a little while now. Been a member on MR2OC and MR2.com for 6 years and have owned my USDM 91 MR2 Turbo Sunroof for approximately 8-9 years now.

I'm now searching for a Caldina ST215 4th Gen 3SGTE motor. I've searched in WA for one but have been unsucessful. The one larger importer here didn't even know what a Caldina 3SGTE was lol. If you guys know of any good importers in B.C. that might have one that would be great. Websites, phone numbers or names of importers would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to find one I can check out before I go the ebay etc. route. Thanks in advance!

Anyways here's a pic from last years North Cascades MR2 Drive. A lot will be changed since this photo was taken though and I'll try and a make a build thread once I get my swap started.
mr2turbo3

Re: B.C. Engine Importers?

Postby driftingsw21 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:59 pm

I spoke with the guys from Prime and they said the best source for 4th gen's west coast wise would be Venus Auto in Cali. I'll be stopping by that engine importer next month and can take a look for you if you like. BTW ever hear of "5th" gen's from a st246 much newer engine. Granted you will have to do a standalone or magically find a way to bypass the immobilizer.
97 SC300 Because DD with some space
95 Sunroof Because Show Car
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby RePete » Thu May 01, 2014 1:15 pm

It's more expensive and challenging, but a 2GR engine transplant like Russ' is easy to find, has cheap & plentiful parts availability and uses regular gas to boot!
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby mr2turbo3 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:06 pm

driftingsw21 wrote:I spoke with the guys from Prime and they said the best source for 4th gen's west coast wise would be Venus Auto in Cali. I'll be stopping by that engine importer next month and can take a look for you if you like. BTW ever hear of "5th" gen's from a st246 much newer engine. Granted you will have to do a standalone or magically find a way to bypass the immobilizer.

Thanks I'll try and look those guys up. I had found one in Dallas that Prime said a couple of their customers had bought from and were solid but they don't have any now and I'm not sure when or if they'll get anymore. Yeah I saw a member on MR2OC & MR2.com that posted about the Gen 5's and that compared it to Gen 4 & 3. There's one for sale on ebay now for $3,298 :o but I guess once you buy a Gen 4 engine ($1000-1500), Prime's install kit ($1,336-$1,686) and MR220V harness ($450) it'll come out to be about the same. What I haven't read up on is what is the install like? Because it's a centerfeed like a Gen 3 but it'll need a standalone? What else would be needed for the install?

RePete wrote:It's more expensive and challenging, but a 2GR engine transplant like Russ' is easy to find, has cheap & plentiful parts availability and uses regular gas to boot!

Haven't really thought about a 2GR. I daily drove my MR2 for 8-9 years now and I decided on the Gen 4 because of the lower mileage on the swaps and seems like it would be pretty reliable for a long time but I bet the 2GR would probably be the same if not better. How much more expensive would be a 2GR swap?

edit: I think I'd probably miss having a turbo car though to be honest.
mr2turbo3

Postby Goopi » Sat May 03, 2014 8:56 pm

mr2turbo3 wrote:I think I'd probably miss having a turbo car though to be honest.

You can always turbo the 2gr down the road!
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:32 am

mr2turbo3 wrote:
driftingsw21 wrote:I spoke with the guys from Prime and they said the best source for 4th gen's west coast wise would be Venus Auto in Cali. I'll be stopping by that engine importer next month and can take a look for you if you like. BTW ever hear of "5th" gen's from a st246 much newer engine. Granted you will have to do a standalone or magically find a way to bypass the immobilizer.

Thanks I'll try and look those guys up. I had found one in Dallas that Prime said a couple of their customers had bought from and were solid but they don't have any now and I'm not sure when or if they'll get anymore. Yeah I saw a member on MR2OC & MR2.com that posted about the Gen 5's and that compared it to Gen 4 & 3. There's one for sale on ebay now for $3,298 :o but I guess once you buy a Gen 4 engine ($1000-1500), Prime's install kit ($1,336-$1,686) and MR220V harness ($450) it'll come out to be about the same. What I haven't read up on is what is the install like? Because it's a centerfeed like a Gen 3 but it'll need a standalone? What else would be needed for the install?

RePete wrote:It's more expensive and challenging, but a 2GR engine transplant like Russ' is easy to find, has cheap & plentiful parts availability and uses regular gas to boot!

Haven't really thought about a 2GR. I daily drove my MR2 for 8-9 years now and I decided on the Gen 4 because of the lower mileage on the swaps and seems like it would be pretty reliable for a long time but I bet the 2GR would probably be the same if not better. How much more expensive would be a 2GR swap?

edit: I think I'd probably miss having a turbo car though to be honest.

If you go 5th gen you will have to go full standalone. Main issue would be the engine imobolizer can't really get around that aspect. The benifit of the engine is you wont get bent over for piping parts like the intercooler, and downpipe. So save a little here spend alot there. In hindsight the pro's don't really out weigh the cons of the build. Yet few things about the engine do intrigue me that I will be putting in more research regarding the matter.

I say go for a 4th gen to keep things "simple" just don't go nuts and be realistic with your expectations. There are parts available for the 4th gen that have been "tested" out and for the MR2 it's the new market as 3rd gen clips are becoming more rare and overpriced. The 4th gen motor can be purchased for as little as 900 dollars. Making it more tempting then ever if you already have a trans.

Now if you decide that "boost" isn't the route for you swaping in a 2gr into a Turbo chassis is'nt that much in hindsight. Cost turn key for everything is 7k if you start with a turbo car. These of course are inflated numbers. The Gouky kit will cost you 1500, 2gr engine 2-4k depending (btw engine to buy highlander or sienna minivan motor with tow package you get oil coolers too much to retrofit standard 2gr without them), 500 for Doug's magical wiring setup, 500 for a properly made Y pipe out of stainless steel ( will beat the next person that just does a y pipe out of raw steel to save money), that and a few bucks for random bits like a intake setup etc... 2gr MK2 is great to drive ask Russ. Yet I'm more of a turbo guy and just like the noise. And we all know fireballs with a turbo setup makes life more fun, Ok Duncan will be mad at you but making him angry is what brings joy to everyone.

Regardless of what option you select, your end power output will be roughly the same. 2gr with bolt ons = 300 hp, 4th/5th gen with bolt ons and daily driving tune will be 320hp on the high end. It's the response and driving experience that will be the real difference at the end of the day. If you love the cool noises that only a turbo car can make go 4th/5th gen. IF you want parts availability/torque down super low go 2gr realizing it's the more expensive upfront option, yet will be the more realistic option for long term ownership. Lots to think about take your time to decide as either of these options is a huge undertaking and will lead to many moments of cursing till things are all done.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sat May 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Give KO Racing a call, they're in Oregon City. When I went to check out the shop, Cris was telling me he's getting into Gen 4 3Ses. He even fabbed and manufactured the downpipes and sold them to Prime!
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby mr2turbo3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 pm

kakucaekz wrote:Give KO Racing a call, they're in Oregon City. When I went to check out the shop, Cris was telling me he's getting into Gen 4 3Ses. He even fabbed and manufactured the downpipes and sold them to Prime!

Gave KO Racing a call earlier. They told me somewhere between $5-$6k for engine + install. I hadn't thought about somone else doing the swap but their price seemed decent. So now I'm considering just having them do it. I know Prime had a special for $3899 for engine + install but it would cost $750-$1k one way just to ship my car there. Anyways sent KO Racing a more detailed email about what's actually included such as replacing maintenance/wear items, IC pipes, downpipe and warranty. So I'll be waiting to hear back from them soon.

Also on a sidenote I picked this up locally last week:

TRD High Response Muffler Ver.S

I just couldn't pass it up because I'm a TRD junkie and of its rarity. It is in very great shape and has just a little surface rust on the can and a few very very light scratches. No dents or deep scratches at all! I cleaned up the tips with 1000 & 2000 grit sandpaper and then hit it with some Mothers Aluminum and Mag Polish. I'm thinking about getting the can sandblasted and then getting it cermamic coated.

Anyone have any opinions of what would be a better exhaust for my Gen 4 swap? Berk (currently on car) or TRD? Sadly I'll be getting rid of one because I just don't need two exhausts so pretty soon I will have one up for sale. If anyone's interested in either give me a PM. I could probably meet-up in Bellingham or even across the border (if my passport hasn't expired... I'll have to check).
mr2turbo3

Postby mr2turbo3 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:18 am

Well i'm officially going Gen 4 now! Ordered this engine yesterday morning along with Prime's DIY Conversion Kit, Prime's Gen 4 Berk 3" Downpipe and Prime's new 4" Intake System. Everything should be here sometime late next week. A buddy and I will be starting the swap around July 7th so I'll try and start a new thread in the Members MR2's & Build Threads once it gets going. Also hopefuily in August I'll be able to make it up north for a BCMR2 Coffee Meet.

I also recently acquired a set of very good condition 94+ cloth seats. If anybody knows of set of 94+ cloth doorcards for sale let me know. I still need to track those down.

mr2turbo3

Postby driftingsw21 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 am

Door cards etc.. I would just go to an upholstery shop and have someone skin it however you like. Cost depends on where you go and what you want but more realistic then finding "mint" door cards. I'm in the area would love to help out with the build if I have time. While the engine is out make it purdy, just get some scotch bright pads and channel your inner sexually frustrated teen self.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby kakucaekz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:55 am

OMG that TRD muffler. Soooo niceeee. I saw one for sale and just about sold my GReddy SP to get it. Then I realized that my muffler is pretty rare too. Then I realized I can't have both. Then I became sad.

Can't wait for the gen 4 to be put in! You gotta start a thread and update us as you go!
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:18 am

In reality when you buy TRD parts you are just buying the name. The muffler is not as loud and not really built for ultimate free flow. It was built with noise and overall comfort in mind not overall power. The Berk on the other hand my personal favorite, while louder doesn't have too bad of a drone. I just like the noise more. The only true TRD part that is better then any aftermarket would be the strut tower bars. But finding/buying those rare sought after parts is like finding a virgin in a whorehouse.

Sadly one thing and you can take this as good or bad, is that the 4th gen will not spit out fireballs even with an open exhaust. While this means you wont be running rich and stupid, it also means that Duncan will be willing to follow you and he wont get mad in the special way that he does. Least I plenty more ways to mess with him.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby mr2turbo3 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:16 pm

driftingsw21 wrote:Door cards etc.. I would just go to an upholstery shop and have someone skin it however you like. Cost depends on where you go and what you want but more realistic then finding "mint" door cards. I'm in the area would love to help out with the build if I have time. While the engine is out make it purdy, just get some scotch bright pads and channel your inner sexually frustrated teen self.

I'm not in a rush to find the door cards. It would be nice if I found them soon but I'll wait for a good conditon OEM set. The crappy thing is I was looking over on the UK forums and they're either dirt cheap or people were giving them away for free before they were taking stuff to the dump :x .

If you wanna stop by and checkout the build you're more than welcome. I don't know if you know David S. (drake22) but we'll be doing it in his garage. I guess let me make sure if it's ok with him first. The engine bay will definitely be cleaned up along with some stuff being powdercoated. I have a set of brand new TRD strut bars that will be going in, along with a brand new TRD oil and radiator cap. The car too is actually gonna be repainted along with the engine bay and will be adding a 94+ trunklid and spoiler, 93+ front lip and 98+ solid side moldings. I'm also gonna be lowering the car on Koni Yellows with TRD lowering springs and refreshening the suspension. And once I get done with that I got a set of Work VS-XX that will be going on the car.

kakucaekz wrote:OMG that TRD muffler. Soooo niceeee. I saw one for sale and just about sold my GReddy SP to get it. Then I realized that my muffler is pretty rare too. Then I realized I can't have both. Then I became sad.

Can't wait for the gen 4 to be put in! You gotta start a thread and update us as you go!

Thanks. Yeah I would love to keep it but I gotta go with my Berk. I might be selling it to Cameron so you might get a chance to listen to it locally. Just gotta fix something that happened to it.

driftingsw21 wrote:In reality when you buy TRD parts you are just buying the name. The muffler is not as loud and not really built for ultimate free flow. It was built with noise and overall comfort in mind not overall power. The Berk on the other hand my personal favorite, while louder doesn't have too bad of a drone. I just like the noise more. The only true TRD part that is better then any aftermarket would be the strut tower bars. But finding/buying those rare sought after parts is like finding a virgin in a whorehouse.

Sadly one thing and you can take this as good or bad, is that the 4th gen will not spit out fireballs even with an open exhaust. While this means you wont be running rich and stupid, it also means that Duncan will be willing to follow you and he wont get mad in the special way that he does. Least I plenty more ways to mess with him.

I definitely am a TRD parts hoarder. The only stuff I'm missing that I still want to get are a mechanical TRD speedo and a rear TRD sway bar.

I don't know if you seen but KO Racing makes a replacement B-pipe for the Stock Muffler 2.5" that would get rid of the restrictive OEM B-pipe. It has no cat and would be 2.5" throughout and they say you can get nearly the same performance as a full aftermarket exhaust system. I was planning on getting this if I decided to keep my TRD. Kakucaekz because you have a GReddy SP this is something you might want to checkout if you haven't already seen it. Here's a link: http://www.koracing.net/viewproduct.php?folder=3&product=104

And driftingsw21 guess I'll be popping a couple cherries at the whorehouse LOL :twisted:

mr2turbo3

Postby driftingsw21 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:54 am

You do realize the rear bar doesn't exactly clear the intake manifold and intercooler pipes right. Hey its ok frame it on your wall and annoy mr2 owners.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby mr2turbo3 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:51 am

driftingsw21 wrote:You do realize the rear bar doesn't exactly clear the intake manifold and intercooler pipes right. Hey its ok frame it on your wall and annoy mr2 owners.

Haven't got a chance yet to fit them on my car yet but I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make them fit. I talked with the guy who did this Gen 4 below and he used the tower bar riser that comes on 94+ turbo models to make them fit better. I'm gonna try those and if they don't work I'm gonna try and fab something similar to them but thicker if needed to make it fit.

mr2turbo3

Next

Return to General Discussion