Lack of discussion (even for winter)

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Lack of discussion (even for winter)

Postby RePete » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 am

Oh sure, to heck with message boards and meets - that's not what owning these cars is about. Where I can't relate is when the following equation is true:

parked > driving
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Cameron » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

I can see your point; everyone's opinion of how a 2 should be used is a bit different.

For me the quality of driving is more important than the quantity. I used my 2 as a daily driver for 6 months years ago and it was a mixed experience. I now use my daily driver the majority of the time, let it get dented in airport parking lots and collect big rock chips driving the coquihalla in winter and save the MR2 for sunny days where I can take the Ttops off, enjoy the twisty roads and use it more as a fun toy than as a simple means for transportation. Then that way every time I step in or out of the 2, I get that good old fashion S%#$ eating grin on my face and truly enjoy the experience of ownership.
95 MR2
Cameron
MR2 know it all

Postby immorality » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Cameron wrote:I can see your point; everyone's opinion of how a 2 should be used is a bit different.

For me the quality of driving is more important than the quantity.

Here, here!As a six(ish) month user, I would prefer to get the best driving in the best conditions (more or less). Driving a 2 through ice, snow and slush over salt filled roads while trying to dodge morons that think they can get around on all seasons (or summers) isn't what I think of as a pleasurable experience. Also, after having my car hit twice in the last year, I would like to do, at least a little bit, to reduce the chances of being hit again.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby RePete » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Yikes, that's like not going outside because you don't want to get hit by a car crossing the street. You've had your hits, Russ - I doubt more are lined up for you.

I don't think any one way of owning these cars is 'better'. I just know I can't live without a deuce for 6 whole, long, agonizing months - that's something I just scratch my head on, too crazy for me. I'd experience withdrawal symptoms. Hear my logic for a sec.

One of the [several] reasons I moved to Vancouver is because of the lack of snow - that means year round driving. It snowed here for 3 days straight just like everywhere else in the Lower Mainland. Result? No snow here (except on the lawns), no slush and very little salt because Vancouver doesn't have a huge salt budget to begin with. The main roads and 90% of side roads have been dry and clear here all through the mayhem everyone else is experiencing. I've been out in it the entire time, I don't know where this talk of bad conditions for 6 months comes from. :?

On top of that, it's been sunny the last several days, you guys are missing out on some great driving weather - I'm not. I even had my window down this afternoon and my sunroof popped-up blasting my subs until my teeth shook. More than that, it gives me more experience on driving my car. Add 6 months to every year I've been doing this, roughly since '99, and I've got literally years & years more driving pleasure/experience in my SW20 than most of you guys. I feel sorry for ya, 'cuz ya see - I'm out in that great summer weather too, just like you. 8)
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:38 pm

RePete wrote:Yikes, that's like not going outside because you don't want to get hit by a car crossing the street.

Well, I'm definitely not trying to take it to that extreme, but just trying to improve my chances and the the best quality of time behind the wheel.

You are right on your other points there Pete, and as you've mentioned before, sometimes the conveniences of a modern car are quite appreciated. I'm quite lucky that I can own two cars, and my other car is a relatively nice place to spend time. 270hp/280lbft all stock, seats 5 with ease, blasts through snow without issue, rides great (with new bilsteins :) ), so I don't feel like I'm missing out on any great driving weather. If I was walking 6 months of the year, then I'd have serious issues. :BangHead:
immorality

Postby adam » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 pm

haha, oh, Lower Mainlanders ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby Fab4MR2 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:48 pm

adam wrote:haha, oh, Lower Mainlanders ;)

What can we say, hey?! :wink:

At least this thread has been busy, lol.

Maybe we could turn it into something like the AW11 common thread on Toymods.org.au. It's a non-stop AW11 thread that runs on for tens of thousands of posts (currently 3679 pages & 73561 posts), and is their way of keeping everyone talking to each other. I think they have one for each MR2 version.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! :-)
Fab4MR2
Baby '2

Postby 2-yota » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:50 pm

The formula for MR2 enjoyment is to do whatever makes you happy with the car! Others derive enjoyment from their cars through means of which I'd wouldn't want to run mine through. Yet at the end of the road, we still arrive at the same spot as happy MR2 owners no matter which path we chose. That's all that really matters.

Remember, it's your car, your relationship with it, your own issues, and if you treat it less than sub-par, then it may develop problems, resulting in an eventual divorce. Well, divorces could happen the other way too when the owners' eyes catch onto another passing beauty. Some may have 2nd or 3rd wives or even mistresses. As long as you got a stick, you can drive them all.
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 am

I think that sums it up, whatever floats your boat.

But my original point is I'd still rather take that mistress out for a nice hard drive than keeping her in the closet inactive for 6 to 9 months. I don't see the point of having a cute active babe when she sits there in the dark alone 3/4 of the year - it's like imprisonment, she wasn't designed for that and someone should pay more attention to her. I guess I'll always feel like that. :lildevil:
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby MRII » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 am

MRII
Junior '2

Postby Goopi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:35 pm

As soon as I'm done with my winter tires which I think will only last one more season, I have no intentions to drive my MR2 in snowy/salty conditions again.

I bought fantastic winter tires since I want to ensure I am able to keep my MR2 in control on unpredictable conditions as best as possible. But you sometimes just cannot avoid the other idiot sliding down the hill towards you because he couldn't bother to spend a few hundred bucks on a set of decent winter tires to keep himself and others safe.

Generally speaking it is less painful for us to see damage occur onto a vehicle other than our MR2s. Also, let's be honest, it isn't the safest car to be in during a collision. :P
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeah, I saw someone sliding down Cambie going South in very slippery conditions going way too fast only recently. Bang! Right into two parked cars. Thousands in damage in maybe 3 seconds.

As for safety in an SW20, I can't disagree more. Where that rumor started is a head-scratcher. it seems to be proliferating and it's bunk. The recent death of that dude on OC is the first in years Judging from the side-impact he didn't stand a chance at his excessive velocity for the conditions - even in another car. I've been in a 50km/h crash in these cars - that's just one of the reasons I bought another one. My confidence level in its body integrity went way up after my beautiful hardtop was destroyed. While the crumple zones around the boxed steel space frame collapse as they should, the rest of the car is very tough - I have full confidence that I would survive a head-on collision with this car. I even remember someone on OC years back mentioning they had to crush their own deuce at the junkyard. Once the crusher got to the cockpit, the revs increased on the crusher in order to do its job. That says something about its rigidity.

BTW, it was another beautiful driving day for the deuce today. I saw some very expensive cars out & about downtown this evening- even they know. :)
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:14 am

Did you ever see that crash test with the newer and the classic Malibu? When it comes to safety, I do believe that the MR2 is quite a safe car, but I'll still side with modern technology.
immorality

Postby dh4ever » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:15 pm

My car has been under reconstruction since October. And it has seriously started to depress me. I miss it dearly.
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby LittleDragon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:37 pm

I'd like to drive mine more often but I'm just too lazy to fix it... lol... I just insure it 2-3 times a year to go to coffee meets and hope it makes it there.

I can understand the lack of discussion... it's an old car, there really isn't much to discuss anymore. Just about all the issues the car can have has been discussed and I keep seeing the same mods over and over. Very rarely do I see a new question that I can't find an answer to by searching for it. I've been thinking of an engine swap but everything I need is a search away, no need to spend time starting a new thread.
LittleDragon
Grandfather '2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion