Lack of discussion (even for winter)

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Lack of discussion (even for winter)

Postby Fab4MR2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Sad to see how slow things have gotten around here, even for this time of year. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be limited to just this MR2 forum. I belong to several worldwide, and things have really slowed down across all of them over the last year or so, from big to small. Hope it's a trend that manages to reverse itself as I have learned much about our cars from all of them, and always look forward to learning something new.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! :-)
Fab4MR2
Baby '2

Re: Lack of discussion (even for winter)

Postby immorality » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Well, I think that there are two things at play here. The first is that the MR2 is an old platform and since there is no more production, people move onto other cars. Just think about how many owners on this forum own other, more modern cars? Secondly, I believe that most people are using Facebook groups for discussion. Without trying I'm part of 15 MR2 groups. You can see that even our BCMR2 facebook group has a lot more activity than this forum.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby oasis » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Maybe we need a thread for our "other" cars, mods, projects etc (unless there is one already)?
1989 Supercharged MR2 (Turbo Inside)

"Got Boost?"
oasis
Junior '2

Postby Goopi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:54 pm

I agree with Russ and I'm seeing that the Facebook clubs of each MR2 group are much more active than the forums are. Also, to be honest I don't know if it's just me, but people aren't into cars these days. Out of my entire grad I was the only one who cared about cars, everyone just uses their parents cars or public transit now.. :|

A lot of people are moving onto the newer FRS clubs too, those forums are extremely active and they have one of the biggest aftermarket supports!
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby Fab4MR2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:30 pm

I can see the facebook thing being an issue, and find it a bit disheartening as facebook hardly offers the same advantages as a forum such as this with its much more vast database of info. Personally, I just have never cared for facebook or most of the other social online groups. Why are so may people so lonely that they need so much validation from complete strangers, lol. Seriously though, I don't think people understand just how much they might lose if sites like this go by the way.
Fab4MR2
Baby '2

Postby RePete » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:38 pm

I think everyone's analysis is spot on. There's no denying FB is a force to be reckoned with (which is why I've bought their shares), as is the FR-S. I think it was obvious that once an inexpensive rear drive sports car was produced from Toyota that more people would abandon the quarter century MR2. I mean, even students can afford an FR-S.

What concerns me (as always) is the part availability of our cars. Several Toyota reps have indicated the drop off in orders for SW20 OEM parts has been quite sharp downward since the FR-S was produced. That's only bad news for our cars as the hardcore scavengers start to battle for parts down the road - I don't intend to be a scavenger, and I won't compromise with 20 year old OEM or new knock-off parts. I might have to jump ship myself to something like an S2000. Though...it's just not the same...

How do you keep a marriage going when support for the old wife is falling apart?

Fab, you joined this club just over 4 years ago and have less than a hundred posts! Maybe it's time you started more discussion. 8)
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 pm

It's pretty easy to see, even in our club there are already at least 4 FRS' owned by former MR2 owners, and 2 FRS owners that still have '2's, but don't drive them.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby Goopi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Also, what bothers me the most is the MR2s I see being parted out when they're perfectly fine.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby Fab4MR2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 pm

RePete wrote:Fab, you joined this club just over 4 years ago and have less than a hundred posts! Maybe it's time you started more discussion. 8)

Pick, pick, pick! :wink:

I'm more into helping out with already started threads than needing to start new ones. Besides I already belong to over 10 other MR2 forums, and there is only so much that I can come up with that's new. :lol:
Fab4MR2
Baby '2

Postby Saiko » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 am

Did somebody say FR-S?
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby tedv » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Might be a bit of a lack of discussions, but I know I check daily just to see whats happening ,as I am sure others are doing.So at least people are watching. Am glad winter will be over soon, am looking forward to spring and geting back into the MK1 Cheers
My 87 Mk1 is sold :( Owned many KE1#'s, currently a 2015 Yaris and a 2001 Rav4
tedv
Baby '2

Postby dh4ever » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 pm

I been busy repairing my distruction. 3 out of 4 pistons had blown ring lands on the intake side. Anyone know wtf I've done?
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby yeungun » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 pm

dh4ever wrote:I been busy repairing my distruction. 3 out of 4 pistons had blown ring lands on the intake side. Anyone know wtf I've done?

My guess is you are running too lean and the heat is taking it's toll on those poor pistons.
89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Postby camshaft » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby sprinterkb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Fab4MR2 wrote:I can see the facebook thing being an issue, and find it a bit disheartening as facebook hardly offers the same advantages as a forum such as this with its much more vast database of info. Personally, I just have never cared for facebook or most of the other social online groups. Why are so may people so lonely that they need so much validation from complete strangers, lol. Seriously though, I don't think people understand just how much they might lose if sites like this go by the way.

My 2 cents worth. (Heck we dont even have pennies any more!)

Agreed, FB might be active but it is far from the database we have here and mr2oc forums
Even if we dont post, we still look for answers.
FRS is a different issue, new car but sooo much different,
I still prefer my '93T, and its ageless design and character. It will never get old.
Mk1 and Mk2 will eventually just be collector cars not the drivers that some use today.
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Next

Return to General Discussion