What Lesson Have You Learned From Your Car?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: What Lesson Have You Learned From Your Car?

Postby MR2Turbo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Lessons from my 91 Turbo:

-It's worth garaging it over the winter and only driving it from May-October. Taking the cover off the car, insuring it and flying around town in a car which people wont believe is 22 years old is most definitely rewarding after locking it up for most of the year

-Don't ever trust Vancouver weather; it will rain on the sunniest of days when you leave the tops off.

-Do things right the first time and avoid as many shady-garage-fixes as possible; I've had to deal with my share of shenanigans created by the previous owner

-Always keep original parts even if you're replacing them; be it body or mechanical. You never know when you'll need it or wish you hadn't tossed it out.

-Though I'm only 20 years old, you learn to resist the urge of doing things to or in your car as recommended by your ricer friends who's automotive knowledge peaks at their understanding of the fast and furious movies. I've learned a great deal about driving and respect for what is soon to be a collectors status vehicle as a result.
MR2Turbo
Baby '2

Postby RePete » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Wow, spoken like a man twice his age. You are wise beyond your years, my friend. All good points that usually take years to sink in.

Though I do disagree about storing it away for winter (unless there's snow, of course). Rain doesn't hurt the car, even cold rain. I also get withdrawal symptoms and my car gets creaky (just like a person) when I don't use it for a few months.

One more thing I've learned from my car: learn from other people's mistakes!
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby MR2Turbo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:33 pm

^haha Thanks! I'm "VancityTurbo" on the other board by the way.
I guess I'm more biased towards storing it after the Summer since the previous owner had kept it locked up for a few years, and before that it was a Texas car so it hasn't seen much, if any rain until I bought it a year and a half a go. Just gives me piece of mind, not so much because of the rain itself but my brakes are needing some tlc. I was driving down kingsway last summer in the rain and I locked up and slid when i tried to slow down due to hitting a bump in the road; ended up sliding along the pavement. Got away with minor curb rash on the rims. I've hopefully got some SS Braided lines, new pads and rotors coming within the next 2-3 weeks though :)
MR2Turbo
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 am

The problem there is with your tires. Get some better ones first, then worry about upgraded brakes.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby sprinterkb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Cameron wrote:Always spend the most you can up front and start with the best starting block you possibly can

Paint jobs are expensive, and even if you think you're going to end up with a perfect paint job.....chances are slim you will.

there are roughly 8 levels of "MINT"

If something rare pops up for sale that you really want, waiting and thinking about it isn't a good strategy.

Drive and enjoy your car; if you let it sit too long trying to make it perfect, you may start to resent the car for costing you so much money, instead of enjoying it and some good seat time.

Worth repeating the above, never by a project with rust, maybe cheap but it will end up costing a lot more than buying a good car to start with no rust.

My mk1 was a usa car with a minty body but blown engine.Easy to fix mechanicals .
It ended up being a show winner many times and also a good autox car too!

My mk2 also came from a good home in the usa, first owner was a military guy from Florida who relocated to tbe nw. Kept every receipt for everything from new.Car now has 160k miles with no issues engine never apart, no oil burning between oil changes etc

Love my car a lot. But only driven April to october then a garage queen!
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby 2-yota » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 am

- having an alternate daily/winter driver will preserve the MR2 ensuring it looks beautiful for years to come.

- after storing over winter, the MR2 will reward you with a "new car experience" (and new car "smell") when you first take it back on the road each and every year without fail.

- driving to Ocean Shores 2-The-Beach for the past 4 years in a Highlander really sucks!

- be warned about following red '2s ... there will always be excitement and stories to tell.

- even though a baby seat fits nicely in the passenger seat with the factory seat anchor system, it's still no replacement for a 4 or 5-seater. A 500HP M5 could be a fun trade alternative.
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby yeungun » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:39 pm

2-yota wrote:
- after storing over winter, the MR2 will reward you with a "new car experience" (and new car "smell") when you first take it back on the road each and every year without fail.

Agreed. I am still waiting for an opportunity to drive mine this year and hopeful for nice weather when i do get a chance.

I have learned the hard way that when parts are available BUY IT. :bash:
89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Postby adam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Everyone has a different standard for the adjective "mint" and not many are similar to mine. Most of the time when I see "mint," what I really see is good to very-good.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby RePete » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Agreed. I find owners using the word 'mint' in their FS ads have a lack of experience with other cars of the same type.

I've been learning lately that having a car you've always wanted makes you spend a huge amount of time on it. What's wrong with me? Image
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Bravo 5 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm

dj_twin_turbo wrote:Everyone has a different standard for the adjective "mint" and not many are similar to mine. Most of the time when I see "mint," what I really see is good to very-good.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/c ... 32383.html

Case in point... MINT classic 1987 MR2... "excellent condition"... "collector plate ready"... "first year imported into Canada!?"... "$10,000 invested!?!?!?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel like emailing this guy and saying, "seriously? Excellent condition? MINT? Collector plate ready?" The engine looks like its been home to a family of rats... and the quarter panel rust doesn't qualify as excellent condition for collector plates. What's with screwing the license plate directly into the bumper?

It does have 88/89 leather seats going for it... but an 85 steering wheel.

The original ad wording...
Very Rare & Highly Collectable. Stored through the years. $10,000 invested. Lamborghini Silver (complete color change groundup), Momo mags & Pirelli Tires,Tilt,solid body,Mech A1, hideaway headlights,very cute & fun to drive (excellent in cornering). T-Roofs,Pw,P mirror, 5sp, leather interior. Excellent condition. Time to sell my "baby". Local vehicle. Euro-design,1st year introduced to Canada; still an eye-turning performance vehicle (T-VIS 1600 engine original,not modified or abused). Distinctive & Unique: Great for college students & car-hobbyists with this classic vintage,collector plate ready.
1985 MR2, 1989 SC, 1991 n/a
Collector of MR2 memorabilia
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby adam » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:41 am

Exactly.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby macatak » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:44 am

^^ that and ^ that not to mention the holes in the bumper, old P/U style shift knob, lack of ashtray lid .........
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby yeungun » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:53 am

89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Postby adam » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:43 pm

yeungun wrote:Dan, this one is mint!
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/c ... 35916.html

Whose car? Looks pretty good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
adam
Grandfather '2

Previous

Return to General Discussion