Changes to BCMR2 Coffee Meets

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Should BCMR2 look at changing the meet dates?

No, keep it on Wednesday evenings at the beginning of the month.
14%
Yes, but keep Wednesday meets and add a second meet on a weekend.
71%
Yes, but just have one meet on a Sunday.
7%
Yes, but let's do a different day, open to discussion.
7%

Total votes : 14

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:18 pm

I don't come around here too often anymore, I'm more involved with my local clubs, especially now that I live out in Chilliwack.

I would like to put forth an idea to change things a bit, though, because I also find it's quite difficult for me to make it out to any meets after working all day in a shop, and having to go get cleaned up, and get out to the meet, and also get home early enough to get to bed at a decent time.

It's been suggested before, but I say it's high time we either start having a second coffee meet per month on a weekend, say Sunday afternoon, or just moving it altogether. I know it's tradition we do the Wednesday meet, but it's just not practical for everybody.

What does everybody think? I would like to be able to make it out to meets more often, haven't been in a while because of this exact reason. I also believe holding it on a Sunday afternoon leaves room for a cruise if people feel up to it.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Re: Changes to BCMR2

Postby immorality » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 pm

I like the way it is now, but I can very much see your position. I've always told people to feel free to arrange any meets you like. In this situation, I would recommend that we do two meets, with the second one being mid month and with more valley locations. Maybe from Langley to Chilliwack? Maybe the same location each time?
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Re: Changes to BCMR2 Coffee Meets

Postby RePete » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Wednesdays are just no good for me, one of the main reasons I can't make the local meets anymore. Originally if I recall, I tried to get this going on a weekend day, but met with a lot of resistance (family days, vacation, sports, etc.). I think Russ has the idea.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Yes I agree Russ, and two meets is great because for those who the Wednesday nights work for it's fine, but now we can have more people able to make it out to two.

Putting together a meet yourself just never seems to garner enough interest.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby sprinterkb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm

I totally agree with Sarah, weekday nights are tough for most of us working stiffs. For all the same reasons.
Why not try saturday or sunday meets once a month during the spring-fall season?
include a little drive too.
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby LittleDragon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm okay with the way it is. The way I see it is, it's only once a month and if I can't make it, I can't make it... there's always next month, no biggie. I have a feeling that 2 meets a month would dilute the number of attendees. Usually when I don't show up, it's because of weather or it's too far and I'm tired.
LittleDragon
Grandfather '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:37 pm

LittleDragon wrote:I'm okay with the way it is. The way I see it is, it's only once a month and if I can't make it, I can't make it... there's always next month, no biggie. I have a feeling that 2 meets a month would dilute the number of attendees. Usually when I don't show up, it's because of weather or it's too far and I'm tired.

2 meets a month in different locations would dilute the number, sure, but it's already diluted from those of us who can't make it out on weekdays. It doesn't make sense to only have one, and most out in the city, where say I could only then attend maybe one or two a year from this standpoint.

I don't know how the turnout has been at the last few, but a reasonable attendance could be expected from two meets. Our local clubs have several meets a month and some I know of have one per week, and often there are quite a few people that show up. I find the more often you do it, the more people are willing to go because they get to know each other better and look forward to seeing each other more often as well.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby Goopi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:39 am

I was thinking having more meets would have less participants as well. Though, Sarah you bring a good point about the more often they take place, the more the members will be engaged in the community.

My shifts are usually scattered around, and my school schedule changes every 3 months so it's hard for me to put in which days I prefer them to take place.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 am

Wed work fine for me, but if I ever have to go back to my old schedule on swing shift then weekends would have to do. I would come to a weekend one every once in a while with my current schedule as well.
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby dh4ever » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:55 am

Sundays will almost never work for me, Saturdays are a more versatile day
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby Fierce Dragoon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:20 am

This is exactly what I need to get back into the club! Now that I'm married with kids and live in the Fraser valley I can't make the city meets as much as I used to if at all. I've come to a few Abby meets but if I miss it then I'm out for the rest of the year! I would love to go to more meets but they would have to be either on the weekend or closer out here.
Brandon

1992 MKII NA - For Sale
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo
Fierce Dragoon
Junior '2

Postby Kin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 am

Its always nice to have a 2nd option, for those who cant make it out to wednesday, great idea sarah! I too haven't seen a wednesday meet in a long time, eventhough I do not have a mr2 no more, but still have the passion for these cars like most of us do!
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Well the vote appears to be in favor of having two, so I will leave it in the hands of our capable admin, Russ, to sort it out. I am somewhat handling the Facebook page if anybody is interested in joining that, and I'll be posting any events that happen up there as well, for now. Just search for it and request to join.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Return to General Discussion