New to board, no MR2 yet

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

New to board, no MR2 yet

Postby Donato » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Hello all, just signed up. I was hoping to have a MkII by the time my account was verified but no such luck.

I was an active member of BCJeepClub.ca and if there are any members here my name might sound familiar. Currently looking for mkII turbos for $3000-5000. I'm currently emailing someone about one but havent been able to see it yet.

If anyone has advice or even knows of a turbo mkII for sale feel free to post. With any luck I'll be posting pics of a new purchase in the near future. Cheers
Donato
Baby '2

Re: New to board, no MR2 yet

Postby RePete » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Welcome to BCMR2.

The Lower Mainland has pretty much the best selection of SW20s in the country. There are normally quite a few for sale (I just counted 14+ on CL), both LHD and RHD, in all sorts of trims.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:22 pm

dh4ever has a Jeep, might be a part of that forum :P

In addition to what Pete said, a lot of the SW20s here are in decent condition too. There's the odd one that has been a little neglected, but for the most part, a lot are rust free and decent mileage. Or so it seems like that to me, anyways :P
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Donato » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks, I noticed there were a few to choose from. I knew I didn't want JDM (several friends have them and it's not for me) it also had to be a turbo. I owned a NA RX7 FC and always wished I bought a turbo.

Out of all the SW20s listed I emailed 2 people. The modded white one and a yellow one with 240k kms. I don't really like the idea of buying a modded car but it looked decent and maybe worth a peak. I'm suppose to see the yellow one Sunday at some point, just need to setup a time. The yellow one from what I can tell is all stock and lady driven. I would post links but I'm on my phone and it's kinda a hassle =P

Well that's all for now. I'm hoping for the best cause car shopping blows. I've never owned a bright color car before so it should be interesting if nothing else.
Donato
Baby '2

Postby Goopi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am

Welcome, feel free to post on this thread once you find the right mr2. :!:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9101&start=15
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby dh4ever » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 pm

yeah I got a jeep, but I have been lazy to join BCjeepclub, I know a few people who are on it tho. you will love having an MR2 when you finally get one. its a nice mix, having a jeep, and an MR2.
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Welcome, welcome!

Hope you enjoy your car when you get it, but I won't lie to you, be prepared to spend some time and money refreshing/restoring some things if need be. They are amazing cars but they are old and certain things start to go after 20 years. I just finished rebuilding my engine and I have had it for 4 years now, and every penny and minute spent has been worth it. Please post some pics of your car when you find it!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 am

Welcome to the club, Hope to see you out sometime soon.

Take your time to find the right 2
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby redtwo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 am

Welcome to the board. I've had my MR2for 15 years and love it. It's not my daily driver, but we have been thru a lot together over the years. Sarah is right they do take maintanance but they are one of the best bangs for the buck, period. Hope your experience is a good as mine has been so far.
1969 Sprinter w/4age
1991 MR2 Turbo
2011 Scion tC
Last Chance Garage
redtwo
Junior '2

Postby Donato » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I brought my newly acquired MR2 home last night. The only pics I have are the ones I was provided with and I wont see it again till Thursday. but heres what it looks like (hope this works)

Pretty much all stock aside from wheels and headunit. It is a Turbo and does have 240k on it BUT the last owner had it for 10 years. I've owned a few cars over the years and this instantly put a smile on my face. Even with more KMS then im use to its the best driving car I've been in... The clutch is abit low (adjustment?) and shifting is kinda notchy but the road feel and accel is great.

DH4 - Sadly I gave up my Jeep. It was parked for 2 months and a BCjeeper wanted it. I had a 99' 4.0L TJ with some of the basic starter mods. I've always wanted a Rubicon and thats my next vehicle.
Donato
Baby '2

Postby kakucaekz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Another yellow one, sweet! :D Looks nice, even though there's a lot of kms on it. Unmolested stock ones are harder to find nowadays. Was it located in Surrey? I recall seeing a yellow one for sale there not too long ago.

The notchy shifting could be due to a short shifter (one of) the POs might have installed. You oughta bring it out to the next coffee meet, show her off! :]
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 pm

The last owner had it for 10 years!
It shows he cared for it.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby Donato » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 pm

lol wasnt sure if I would like owning a yellow car to be honest, but its really grown on me. Typically my cars have been dark shades. I believe the shifter is stock, I was thinking maybe a worn out bushing... Def bring it out to a coffee meet in the very near future.

Yes last owner owned it for 10 years. She was married to a mechanic AND has a nearly all original 59' Vette in her garage that she bought as her first car. Im fully confident that this car was well taken care of.
Donato
Baby '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Perhaps they installed aftermarket bushings or that's the way the shifter feels, I know mine feels that way, heck even after I replaced the old rubber bushings that had long ago fallen out with solid brass ones, it really didn't feel all that different! And compared to a lot of manuals I drive at work and my Nissan I just sold, the MR2 has a notchier feel to it.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:14 pm

In my opinion, MR2s were designed to have flashy and bright colours. While black does look nice, it's the red, yellow, white and blue ones that really get your attention. They're a little sports coupe, they should be bright!
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Next

Return to General Discussion