Whose car is this?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: 95 turbo

Postby RePete » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:17 am

95t with decently low mileage (about 121k). Pretty rare around here, priced a little snotty IMO ($14k). Personally, I'd rather get a $6k '91 and build it up to a '95, but this is a nice opportunity for someone.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/c ... 61909.html

RePete
Grandfather '2

Re: Whose car is this?

Postby Kin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:00 am

Previous lady owner listed it for $13000 and no takers, than drop the price to $9500. I guess this guy is here to make a good profit. Nice car thought, but not the price. Sorry for my honestly.
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby macatak » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:54 am

interesting photo collection,
3 different Backgrounds,
stock front corners ,
clear front corners,
front plate,looks local
no front plate and bumper appears to have never had the bracket installed,
no rear plate,
rear plate, hard to tell if it's local
fogs,
no fogs
what appears to be a pinstripe but is possibly a reflection along the top of the fenders in two of them.
almost like it's 2 different cars.
Anybody know what a Black Gold Edition is?

I think I'd be asking a lot of questions about it's history......
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby adam » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:07 pm

That man different configurations you might wonder how old the pics are.

There's a decent looking '94 west of me for $11k. Been for sale for a while.

The market is so weak. I can't see ever selling my car.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby Kin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:07 pm

These prices for the 94/ 95 asking price will be hard to sell. I can only see a die hard fan willing to pay these prices unless it comes down, it will be sitting for a long time.
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby Bravo 5 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Call me an MR2 snob but this is a 95 turbo. Of the 93 shipped to the US how many of them are still in existence that haven't been wrecked or modded?

I met the previous owner before she posted it for sale and I believe the provenance to be true. I was going to offer her $12,500 because that's what I think it's worth given it's rarity (I ended up buying a house instead). With the influx of JDM MR2s out there I think it makes North American models more valuable. I'm not sure why the new owner put the gold pinstripes and emblems on it but that can be removed.

I think the $13,000 asking price is reasonable but he likely won't get it considering the weak market that's already been mentioned... And of course the JDM cars are also dragging down the prices.

Put a super duper mint 91/92/93 next to this 95 turbo and it's a no brainer for me... I'll take the 95 every single time.

I guess I am an MR2 snob!!
1985 MR2, 1989 SC, 1991 n/a
Collector of MR2 memorabilia
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Whose car is this?

Postby adam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:40 am

I agree Dan, North American cars should be getting to be worth more and more, especially Canadian cars. That said, the market demographics lend to cheaper cars, and the fact of the matter is kids can afford to buy nicer JDM cars than North American ones. I think the premium cars are still worth lots, there's just not very many buyers like us.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:02 pm

adam wrote:I agree Dan, North American cars should be getting to be worth more and more, especially Canadian cars. That said, the market demographics lend to cheaper cars, and the fact of the matter is kids can afford to buy nicer JDM cars than North American ones. I think the premium cars are still worth lots, there's just not very many buyers like us.

Exactly! The value of anything is always determined by the market conditions and the number of prospective buyers. While I love and appreciate MR2's like this one, even I'd be very hard pressed to purchase it, even if I didn't already have a 2.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby adam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:08 pm

immorality wrote:Exactly! The value of anything is always determined by the market conditions and the number of prospective buyers. While I love and appreciate MR2's like this one, even I'd be very hard pressed to purchase it, even if I didn't already have a 2.

Yep, that's why I can't imagine ever selling my car. The replacement value to me is over $30,000. Gonna be tough to find a buyer to pay even a portion of that.

I guess where I'm a snob is that, to me, a near perfect car is so hard to find that I would consider it regardless of year. To me a 92 isn't different enough from a 95 that I would consider a bunch of flaws in place of something pristine. Then again, I have a different standard of what I consider really good condition compared to most.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby RePete » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:04 am

I can't disagree with most of that. But at the same time, I think the MR2 snob moniker isn't necessarily year specific. If someone plunked down a '93t hardtop and a '95t t-top in front of me, for me the choice is clear: H/T. One has to own one to really appreciate how well they're put together.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Cameron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am

adam wrote:I think the premium cars are still worth lots, there's just not very many buyers like us.

Very well put. There are so many different rare MR2 combinations or options and each jump out to different MR2 owner. The higher the price, the smaller the group of buyers is. The pricing of MR2's is very tough with such a diverse group of buyers.
95 MR2
Cameron
MR2 know it all

Postby Kin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Its only worth how much one values these cars and the option that is presented to you (like HT). I love mr2's and do agree with Dan's assessment of what the 95 could sell for, but also I see these 94/95 prices in the same ball park or abit lower in states, and they have been listed for a long time with no takers at the price they would like to sell it for. Sorry but I have too much time on my hand and am always curious about the market of these cars! but most likely wont buy a mr2 anymore, its just not practical for family life no more.....
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby yeungun » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 pm

I think most if not all MR2 enthusiasts have one already. That would be my guess why they don't sell quickly.
89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:22 am

I find peer pressure drives the 94/95 market until a year or two passes by.

My guess, and it's more from experience, as to why they don't sell fast is because the MR2 community slobbers over them so much that owners who have one get their heads inflated, then list them too high for most (cheapass) owners to get their hands on them (but if it's priced properly, folks think there's something wrong with it). Meanwhile, while their egos get stroked with all the kudos and compliments pouring in at sale time, their ride sits there and ages - unsold for a year or more.

Then after a time far too long for the frustrated owner, he now just wants the damn thing off his hands & sells it for what it's supposed to be priced at (usually without letting anyone know the eventual selling price, there's that ego again). But just ask the new owner and he won't shut up about the deal he just got. Image
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Goopi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:54 pm

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4152115905.html

Across the border, I would grab it for $3K if it doesn't cost to much to bring it here. :P
Goopi
Papa '2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion