Whose car is this?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Whose car is this?

Postby kakucaekz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 am

Still, $3k for an automatic NA with about 270k km on the clock is expensive, even locally. You just want the sunroof, don't you? :P
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby adam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 am

kakucaekz wrote:Still, $3k for an automatic NA with about 270k km on the clock is expensive, even locally. You just want the sunroof, don't you? :P

In most cases, I'd agree. This one is worth doing digging on, IMO. If the paint was done well and is in good condition, you're going to be looking at doing it on most 20 year old cars anyway. At this point, I think the body is more important than the mechanicals- they're all easily replaced. If it's a colour change, I'm hands off. Even if it looks alright from the outside, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing under the carpets, etc, is a different colour. That's just me, though. I'd prefer to drive a car that wasn't my favourite colour than buy one that was colour changed.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby RePete » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:37 pm

adam wrote:I'd prefer to drive a car that wasn't my favourite colour than buy one that was colour changed.
I used to think exactly the same thing, until I tried it. Once the original colour can't be seen easily, sleep comes just fine. :sleeping:
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby adam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:08 pm

RePete wrote:I used to think exactly the same thing, until I tried it. Once the original colour can't be seen easily, sleep comes just fine. :sleeping:

Sure, each to their own.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby dh4ever » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:22 pm

This thread should be renamed to Craigslist adds.
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Well, we're MR2 owners, most of us are cheap-asses and CL is free.

Anyone know if this ad is legit? Seems awfully clean & a lot of work/parts for only $4,500 (unless it's a wreck underneath). Maybe he forgot the 1 in front of the 4...?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/c ... 32067.html

RePete
Grandfather '2

'98 SW20

Postby RePete » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 pm

I was wondering when I'd see a '98 for sale here since they're legit to bring in now. N/A slush-box though, boooo!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/c ... 13311.html

RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Nonetheless, that's an absolutely gorgeous 2. My goodness.
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Kin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:55 am

WOW, thats gorgeous! Makes me want to buy a 2 again.... :o
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby dh4ever » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Ooooooo. I drooled a lil
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby adam » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 pm

RePete wrote:I was wondering when I'd see a '98 for sale here since they're legit to bring in now. N/A slush-box though, boooo!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/c ... 13311.html

What a great car for the money. Too bad these things weren't LHD.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby Goopi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:41 pm

I wonder if importing ones from Germany would be similar in price. They were made up to the 1998 model there, and they're LHD! :)
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:51 pm

SSJMR2 wrote:I wonder if importing ones from Germany would be similar in price. They were made up to the 1998 model there, and they're LHD! :)
That's right, they do have them, I've entertained this thought for years. But they are a bit pricey, at least the ones I've seen which is probably one of the reasons no one has tried it yet. The decent (non- modified) ones I've seen start at 6,500 Euro or so (add 43%). With import fees, shipping you're looking at upwards of CDN $11,000 or so in the end - probably a lot more considering you'd have to drive it from New York or some other port city rather than JDMs which drop them off on the cheaper Pacific side.

Cam and I were discussing this a few days ago, and we include Italy and Greece on the list - there are a few other countries too. I was in Greece recently on vacation looking for one, but couldn't find one - nothing but 3 series BMWs over there (sound familiar?). Unfortunately the MR2 Greece website is all Greek to me so that didn't help either. :silly:

Would be nice to get a 98/99 H/T turbo - just don't like the idea of maintaining a 3rd gen engine.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Cameron » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm

adam wrote:
RePete wrote:I was wondering when I'd see a '98 for sale here since they're legit to bring in now. N/A slush-box though, boooo!

What a great car for the money. Too bad these things weren't LHD.

Agreed; Sad that it's probably worth more in parts now than as a whole....
95 MR2
Cameron
MR2 know it all

Postby adam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:58 am

RePete wrote:
SSJMR2 wrote:I wonder if importing ones from Germany would be similar in price. They were made up to the 1998 model there, and they're LHD! :)
That's right, they do have them, I've entertained this thought for years. But they are a bit pricey, at least the ones I've seen which is probably one of the reasons no one has tried it yet. The decent (non- modified) ones I've seen start at 6,500 Euro or so (add 43%). With import fees, shipping you're looking at upwards of CDN $11,000 or so in the end - probably a lot more considering you'd have to drive it from New York or some other port city rather than JDMs which drop them off on the cheaper Pacific side.

Cam and I were discussing this a few days ago, and we include Italy and Greece on the list - there are a few other countries too. I was in Greece recently on vacation looking for one, but couldn't find one - nothing but 3 series BMWs over there (sound familiar?). Unfortunately the MR2 Greece website is all Greek to me so that didn't help either. :silly:

Would be nice to get a 98/99 H/T turbo - just don't like the idea of maintaining a 3rd gen engine.

I'm not sure any of the LHD Rev 5 cars were turbos, but that's just from what I've seen- nothing official. Often the Euro cars have typical mileage compared to what we see in North America, too.
adam
Grandfather '2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion