Moving to California, question about importing car.

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Moving to California, question about importing car.

Postby Ebicat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Hey guys!
I know I don't post a ton, but I think I've at least met a handful of you once before :)
So I'm moving to the US, San Fransisco to exact, My company is paying for everything move related, and I've been given all the forms on importing my car. I know on the forms there's a lot of mention that the car needs to be up to US spec, and EPA spec, etc... etc... I've done a lot to the car, basically rebuilt the entire engine, I don't know if there's a stock moving part on it anymore. On top of that I have a custom exhaust that... doesn't exactly pass regulations. Basically once a year I swap the exhaust for another custom made one I have that will pass Aircare and then swap them back. Probably usual fair for a lot of people. Now I know in California they have something similar to Aircare, so I plan on bringing down the other exhaust.

What I want to know is, will this be a problem crossing into the US and handing over the forms? Do they do any kind of checks there? Also, does anyone know if I can keep BC insurance for a bit and switch it over to US insurance after I get my SS# and get settled in?

Basically any useful importing info would be awesome! my wife and I will be driving the car down, not flying... at least I hope.
Ebicat

Re: Moving to California, question about importing car.

Postby immorality » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:13 pm

I don't think many people here will be able to help. Try asking in the Norcal section of MR2oc. Congrats on the move though, I assume it's for some awesome high paying job.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby Ebicat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks! also good idea :)
Ebicat

Postby Kin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm

best to call the DMV down in California, and call ICBC about these questions. Also get a letter of abstract from ICBC, this could lower your insurance rates with the private insurance companies in Cally. Good luck.
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Return to General Discussion