Still waiting for my first MR2

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Still waiting for my first MR2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:57 pm

OEM filters, and Mobil1000 conventional oil. 5W30.

For transmission, GL5/75W-90, Redline MT-90, or if you have some hard shifting/grinding, Redline Shockproof Lightweight.

Coolant, use Toyota long-life, it's red and you need about 13 liters to fill so half that amount coolant, half deionized water. Highly recommend flushing the coolant, it's been sitting for a long time and it eats away at the rubber hoses and believe me, there's enough hoses on the car that you definitely don't want that. Been there!

Use Toyota OEM wherever possible, for fluids, plugs, hoses, belts, anything like that. MR2s are best kept on what they were designed for.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby spookynick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:47 pm

PearlWhiteMR2 wrote:OEM filters, and Mobil1000 conventional oil. 5W30.

For transmission, GL5/75W-90, Redline MT-90, or if you have some hard shifting/grinding, Redline Shockproof Lightweight.

Coolant, use Toyota long-life, it's red and you need about 13 liters to fill so half that amount coolant, half deionized water. Highly recommend flushing the coolant, it's been sitting for a long time and it eats away at the rubber hoses and believe me, there's enough hoses on the car that you definitely don't want that. Been there!

Use Toyota OEM wherever possible, for fluids, plugs, hoses, belts, anything like that. MR2s are best kept on what they were designed for.

Awesome, that's exactly what i was looking for thanks a lot for your insight.
1991 Toyota MKII, MR2 Turbo w/ T-Bar, 97% Stock
spookynick
Baby '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Haha, no problem. I work at Toyota :)
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby spookynick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Still waiting for my car!

I have been told for like 3 weeks now that they are waiting for parts to come from japan...
Today the guy tells me that they have spent $3000 in work to get it ready to pass inspection and that MAYBE his boss wont approve the sale now

I'm so ticked off
spookynick
Baby '2

Postby RePete » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Won't approve the sale? Can they legally do that? It's still listed at VIB Motors BTW.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby spookynick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:18 pm

RePete wrote:Won't approve the sale? Can they legally do that? It's still listed at VIB Motors BTW.

I think they can because the sale has the stipulation that it passes inspection... So they would have to part it out...
spookynick
Baby '2

Postby spookynick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:23 pm

The salesman said they had done $3000 in work. Changed the lights, added DRL module (i think) and a boot, some linkage, maybe some bushings... I dont know how they got up to $3000 to quick...
spookynick
Baby '2

Postby kakucaekz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 pm

$3000? What the heck did they do to it? I think you can get a motor for 3k. Hell, you can get a decent whole other MR2 for that price.
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby spookynick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 pm

kakucaekz wrote:$3000? What the heck did they do to it? I think you can get a motor for 3k. Hell, you can get a decent whole other MR2 for that price.

Yeah, that's what i wanna know! I told him that the parts he listed didn't sound like $3000 worth, and he said there was labor on top of that, and i told him that is like 30 hours labor...
So apparently i found out tomorrow afternoon if his boss is going to OK the sale of it...
spookynick
Baby '2

Postby spookynick » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:11 am

Well then...

Ok, that was a lot of waiting around for nothing. I didnt get the white RHD 91 JDM mr2. VIB mortor cars can fawk off. :Sniper:

Instead i found 1 in Langley. 93k original owners son, very cool guy.

ImageImageImage

Its in pretty decent condition. A few chips here and there, some slight fading of the paint. The seats are leather and pretty rat bagged, but that's what seat covers and re-upholstery is for.

Around 80-100km/h i get some shaking in the steering wheel, the car itself is smooth though, i think its probably just a balancing issue?
At idle there is a slight surging sound maybe every 5-10 seconds, not sure what that is, but it doesn't look like the rpms change enough for me to see.

So, hooray, after 3 weeks i finally get my mr2! :D
spookynick
Baby '2

Postby Goopi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:13 am

That's awesome man!
I don't know where you guys find these cars who have barely gone through many owners, mine has gone through at least 10. :P

The steering wheel shaking can be caused by something as simple as your car in need of an alignment, I would do a visual inspection & if anything looks bad, I'd replace it while you're at it. Then get the alignment done after, and make sure the tie rods aren't seized before you get an alignment done.

Now to show it off at the next meet coming up, what do you say? :D
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:20 am

Congrats!

I would definitely recommend an inspection if you didn't get one already. Loose/worn suspension components will do awful things to the front end of the car, and tire balance always seems to be an issue as well.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby spookynick » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:19 am

Well i think i just lucked out. The 1 nice thing about having a small number of owners is it still has all the original accessories. Has the t-top felt clip on thingies, the covers, the original tools w/ bag and spare and such.
The vibration/shaking is defiantly the first problem i am going to be dealing with, cant have a car like this with fear of going over 100km/h.

Should i just do a visual myself, or take it somewhere to have it inspected?
I was thinking about taking it somewhere to have the turbo system looked over too, i don't want to have my car esplose on me. ;)
Any suggestions for the most cost effective place to take an mr2 to have it gone over?
spookynick
Baby '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh jeez, idk if he's still around, but Cam used to do work on MR2s a lot. Before I joined, I've just read a few threads. I think Joe (Oteck) also does it, but I'm not sure. All the other members know, I'm still new myself :P

But an alignment can be done at any place, I think they're like 60 bucks? I need one too soon, I put a new steering wheel on and it's on a bit crooked :P As for the turbo system, just make sure there isn't any shaft play (I'm not sure what that means, I've seen other people hock that term around :P). Otherwise, it's hard for a stock turbo system to blow up, especially with the dinky CT-26.

As for your car, congrats, nice to see that there weren't many owners. I lucked out that way too, I think I'm the 3rd or 4th owner only, and my car came with the T-top shades, stock radio, stock wheels and even the stock bra. The only thing that wasn't OEM on the car was the shift knob haha.

How much did the car cost you? Looks like a 91 too. And it's LHD, so insurance companies won't be a pain in the butt.
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby MRII » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 am

The vibration could be caused a wheel is out of balance or bent rim. Those are usually the suspects with a high speed vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel. Take it to a wheel shop and get the wheels re-balanced and let them know about the vibration at high speed. When they put each wheel on the balancer, they will let you know what the problem is.
As for the turbo system, is it at stock boost?
Is it blowing smoke or leaking oil?
Is it not boosting?
MRII
Junior '2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion