Noob question

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Noob question

Postby SW20fan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 pm

I am new on the forum and I have been doing some reading but I can't seem to find an exact answer. Is the 3S-GTE an interference engine or not? Some people say yes, others say no. Since my timing belt has 80000 kms, I would like to know if it's an emergency or not.
SW20fan

Re: Noob question

Postby Goopi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 pm

The 3S-GTE is a non-interference engine, just as many other Toyota engines that run on timing belts I believe.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm

My timing belt has 120,000 on it. Typically you should change them at 100,000. I'm doing mine soon, but I wouldn't say it's an emergency. You can take a look at it by removing the cover if you are at all mechanically inclined, and checking it to see if it's worn or cracked or anything like that. LIke Gurpreet said above, it's non-interference, so even if it was about to go and did, you wouldn't destroy your motor.

If you'd like to have it done, I run a shop that specializes in MR2s and we recently did two timing belts, so it would be no problem. We can give you a quote, and we can inspect the belt for you if you'd like for no charge if you want to know what condition it's in, if you are not inclined to do so yourself. Feel free to send me a message on the board or my e-mail, jsttuning@live.com.

Otherwise, yeah, not an emergency :)
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby Goopi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Finding a mechanic who wants to work on these cars is hard, its either they don't want to touch it or just like any other mechanic, they don't do it right. You can trust her as she has been working with these cars for years now and gained a lot of experience through her course.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby SW20fan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 am

PearlWhiteMR2 wrote:My timing belt has 120,000 on it. Typically you should change them at 100,000. I'm doing mine soon, but I wouldn't say it's an emergency. You can take a look at it by removing the cover if you are at all mechanically inclined, and checking it to see if it's worn or cracked or anything like that. LIke Gurpreet said above, it's non-interference, so even if it was about to go and did, you wouldn't destroy your motor.

If you'd like to have it done, I run a shop that specializes in MR2s and we recently did two timing belts, so it would be no problem. We can give you a quote, and we can inspect the belt for you if you'd like for no charge if you want to know what condition it's in, if you are not inclined to do so yourself. Feel free to send me a message on the board or my e-mail, jsttuning@live.com.

Otherwise, yeah, not an emergency :)

Thanks a lot for the info Sarah, much appreciated. I am mechanically inclined and I did remove the cover to check the timing belt and everything looked good in there. But I am extremely meticulous when it comes to maintenance and most of my previous cars were interference engines so I didn't wanna take a chance lol.
SW20fan

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:15 am

No problem. Hope all works out well for you! :)
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Return to General Discussion