Tokico Illumina 5-Ways & Where To/Not To Buy

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Tokico Illumina 5-Ways & Where To/Not To Buy

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey everyone, I tried ordering some Tokico's for the front of my car (I have a used set already for the rear), and I ordered them off of a website called The Parts Bin. NEVER ORDER from these guys, I should have done my homework and looked up reviews first, but I didn't, stupid me. They have deplorable service, their e-mail addresses are fake or they don't respond because they bounce back. They will ask you for odd things such as your phone number to complete a shipping order because they are going with a different company then they first were.... (???) which raised many red flags. Then they told me today they don't even have the strut inserts in stock, when they list them on their website as in stock. They are going to return my money, and if they don't it was through PayPal so I am gauranteed to get it back, but oh my gosh. I made an order for bushings on Twos R Us and they had the tracking number sent to me the next morning when I had made the order at 11pm the night before, and on a Saturday! There was no excuse for the Parts Bin, they had two weeks...

So I guess what I need now, is somebody to tell me a good place to buy these, obviously I would prefer locally, but if I have to ship them that's ok, and I'd like the best price of course.

Thanks!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Re: Tokico Illumina 5-Ways & Where To/Not To Buy

Postby Saiko » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Hey Sarah, not sure where to get the illumina's, but TWOSRUS has Koni Yellows on sale, $580/shipped for a full set. I did see they have other struts on there, but they look like KYB GR2's or something.

sucks to get shafted by these online stores, but TWOSRUS has a good rep to get things delivered in the MR2 community.
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Is the Koni/Tokico combination a good setup?
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby Saiko » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

hmm. I think it's recommended to run the same struts all around, or else the dampening rates would be thrown off.

a very popular one is TRD & Koni Yellow.. ask Mr. Russell, :silly:
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby Goopi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Yeah, if you would like Koni's then this would be the best time to grab them because of the low price. I just grabbed them and all the new mounts and bushings from TwosRUs then I'm going to install my TRD springs along with them.

If you still prefer to stick with Tokico's, then I guess you should try any well known site such as KORacing, or something like Horsepowerfreaks. I'm pretty sure there are other sponsors of mr2.com/mr2oc.com who probably have deals going on now which would be easy on your wallet and fully trustworthy.

I would try the places which offer free shipping, this becomes helpful for us people in Canada. :P If not, then you could always get it shipped near the border but I don't know how much they would tax you when you're bringing them back. I haven't tried this way of shipping & pickup yet but its the method I'm using for the stuff I bought from TwosRUs so hopefully I don't get charged too much! :P
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:35 pm

I don't remember what you have for springs, but you can't go wrong with Koni's, especially at that price. I thought I got a smoking deal at $604. If you want to stay matched with Tockiko's, then I would try out KO.

Edit: From the KOracing.net site, it would cost you $381.90 to ship a pair of tockico's to canada :o . Shipped to Blaine they are $263.18. I suppose that makes a good case for the Koni's...
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby immorality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Also, paypal has a time limit for how long you have before you open a case, and sometimes people drag things out. I would suggest calling your credit card directly, since sellers take them much more seriously. Don't let these jokers take much time.
immorality

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 pm

It was through my bank account, so I have to wait. I will file a dispute very soon if I don't see notice of a refund through PayPal. I had better get it back soon I need that to buy the Koni's. That's what I'm going to go with, can't beat the price, just sucks I already ordered the bushing kit because now it's extra shipping. I'm gonna grab the strut boots and the brass shifter bushing anyway too.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby Saiko » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

SSJMR2 wrote:Yeah, if you would like Koni's then this would be the best time to grab them because of the low price. I just grabbed them and all the new mounts and bushings from TwosRUs then I'm going to install my TRD springs along with them.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, Sarah, but SSJMR2, which mounts and bushings did you purchase as well with the Konis? (Can you list them for me?) Looking to revamp my suspension bits and don't know exact which parts I should purchase.
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby Goopi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:14 pm

I just got KYB mounts for the front and OEM for the rear from TwosRUs (the plastic lid for the mounts will not fit on the KYB ones I believe). Sorry after looking at this bushing kit, I realized I didn't buy it because I was confused about that as well. I cannot find any place which offers polyurethane bushings for struts only. This kit comes with a lot of stuff I would not need, new swaybars and other parts usually come with new bushings (not sure if polyurethane or not) so I thought it wasn't necessary to grab the kit.

MKII Kit Includes:
1. Front and rear control arm bushings
2. Front and rear strut bar bushings.<--- I'm not sure whether these are the ones to be replaced when installing new struts.
3. Front and rear anti-sway bar bushings
4. Rear strut bar control arm to chassis bushings

Saiko wrote:
SSJMR2 wrote:Yeah, if you would like Koni's then this would be the best time to grab them because of the low price. I just grabbed them and all the new mounts and bushings from TwosRUs then I'm going to install my TRD springs along with them.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, Sarah, but SSJMR2, which mounts and bushings did you purchase as well with the Konis? (Can you list them for me?) Looking to revamp my suspension bits and don't know exact which parts I should purchase.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 pm

SSJMR2 wrote:2. Front and rear strut bar bushings.<--- I'm not sure whether these are the ones to be replaced when installing new struts.

No these are used on one of the suspension arms.

I've got the KYB mounts too, and the complete poly bushing kit sitting by the door of the house.
immorality

Postby thelaw604 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Some good info here, but here comes the newb.

At what point do you consider changing the suspension components?

Since my car only has 117k on it and owned by an older guy, I assume it's still on its stock struts and springs. I am thinking about getting some lower springs since it currently looks too high with 17" rims. As such, if it makes sense to change the struts as well, I might as well do it while it's apart.

Also, I've noticed a squeak every time I go over speed bumps from the front suspension, could it be the mounts (or another part)?

Thanks!
thelaw604
Baby '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 pm

I have a rattle that someone told me is mounts, and I have yet to look into it for sure, now that I know what I'm looking at. I am doing all bushings because an upgrade to polyurethane improves handling, and supposedly is one of the best things you can do for your handling, regardless of whether the stock rubber ones are worn out.

The strut inserts are selectable to give you firmer or softer ride, which are a must if you enjoy any sort of backroad cruising or racing even, and the comfort of daily driving. Otherwise, go with coilovers, which are stiff and adjustable for ride height.

As far as springs, with coilovers they are a package deal, no need to upgrade. With strut inserts, it's always a good idea. To see if your springs are old and sagging, you need to measure ride height on all four corners of the vehicle (from the same spot, ie. the wheel well or rocker panel). If the car bounces too much over bumps and such, you will most likely need new shock absorbers, which is what the strut inserts are.

Hope that helps... again, you may not need to upgrade your suspension components, but it is an oft overlooked system on the car that can improve the way it handles and rides in spades.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:37 am

thelaw604 wrote:Some good info here, but here comes the newb.

At what point do you consider changing the suspension components?

Since my car only has 117k on it and owned by an older guy, I assume it's still on its stock struts and springs. I am thinking about getting some lower springs since it currently looks too high with 17" rims. As such, if it makes sense to change the struts as well, I might as well do it while it's apart.

Also, I've noticed a squeak every time I go over speed bumps from the front suspension, could it be the mounts (or another part)?

Thanks!

Change it out as soon as you can. And when you do change out as much as you can at one time. Dave at twosrus has everything you need. Its also a good time to change out your bushings. The items that I noticed in the biggest need of changing out was the inner and outer tie rod ends for me. Make sure you tighten everything out very well when you do decide to do things and get it aligned asap when done.
97 SC300 Because DD with some space
95 Sunroof Because Show Car
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby 92slcVRT » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Duy!
Martin won't let me have an MR2=(

92 Corrado SLC with a tiny snail
401hp 475ftlbs tq
87 Poopra
92slcVRT