The Official Suggestion Box - We Want to Hear From You!

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

The Official Suggestion Box - We Want to Hear From You!

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Since the loss of a large part of the executive committee last year and the removal of membership fees, the club has become a more casual, informal group, and there has been a decline in membership and participation in the community. While this is nobody's fault, the old exec's had lives and dreams to pursue, and the membership system was complicated and often difficult to maintain, there is a need today for us to start changing things in the club to make it more active, interesting, engaging, and to encourage participation from MR2 owners and enthusiasts all over British Columbia.

A lot of you may only use the board for your own purposes, to seek out or sell the odd part and to glean some minor information here and there, which is no problem, we want the board to be a resource for you to go to when you need it, but we want to see the club grow like it once did! We want to hold more events and do more for you guys but we need to hear from you what you want from us.

This thread is for your comments, suggestions, and ideas on what we can do for you to help improve the board, the meets, the community, anything you can think of. We welcome negative comments (tactful, constructive comments only) in regards to anything you dislike or haven't thought was ideal now or in the past. Anything that BCMR2 has or has not done that you wish to speak up on is welcome as well.

I will not tolerate arguments in this thread. You may support each others ideas or disagree with them, but be tactful about it. State why or why not you think it's a good idea, and watch how you say it. Remember that words on a screen can come across as offensive dependent on your editing! If you wish to submit an idea privately, you may PM me personally and I will submit it to the rest of the executives to be discussed.

Each idea, suggestion, or comment will be considered and discussed for the improvement of the club. Ridiculous or non-realistic ideas will obviously not be considered.

Brainstorm away, folks.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Re: The Official Suggestion Box - We Want to Hear From You!

Postby RePete » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm

The only contribution I've ever given to the club other than past fees & dumb videos is the monthly meet suggestion I proposed years back - which is going along swimmingly.

But I would like to see a few 'technical' meets of sorts. Tony, Joe & I were shooting some ideas a few weeks back and one of them was to get a bunch of us at someone's place (this wouldn't work at a public place) and just polish and clean our deuces. We'd offer each other tips and feed off of other's experience w/ various products & cleaning/polishing techniques. Someone brings a Hibatchi and some 'burgs and we could have a nice afternoon doing that. This would be a nice non-model specific meet, everyone wants their cars shiny & new!

Another type of [probably less popular] meeting would be a technical one specific to SW20s or AW11 or a combination of both. To get more cars to show up, a universal theme could be proposed:

- How to bleed your brakes or change your pads
- Change your oil (not everyone is familiar with this or what to do with the old oil)
- Jack up your car properly and what to do while it's up there
- How to tint your windows

Or something more model specific like:

- Installing a boost controller on an MKII
- Getting that pesky 5th gear to stop popping out in your MK1
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Thank you for your suggestion Pete, I encourage more people to put forth ideas! You don't have to be a regular user of the club or even have been to a meet before, if there's something you want to see or you don't like let us know!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby yeungun » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Convince Danny to come back. it was excellent during his time here. I think he has the bug but needs an invitation from the current execs. and to know he will be supported.
89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Thank you Wayne, it will be put into consideration! Perhaps Danny should contact us directly if he is interested, though. :)
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Good ideas so far... but we know there's more ideas floating around out there. I've listed a few questions that I am curious to know the answer to, feel free to answer all or some of them and comment as well.

Would you like to see any changes made to the website and/or forums? If so, what and why?
Would you like to have more meets and/or drives? If so, please give your ideas for when, what, why, and where.
What do you like about what's being done currently?
Do you attend events currently? If not, why? What would encourage you to attend?
Would you be interested in seeing a more prominent section displaying member's MR2s? For example, a page on the main site with thumbnails that can be clicked on?
What do you think would help the forum become more active?

If any of you guys could throw your input out on any of these questions above, we'd really appreciate it. Making the group better is a team effort and we want to do the things that make the community grow.

Cheers!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby Oteck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:08 pm

need a buyer/user feedback system.
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks, Oteck. That is something I was looking into as well having had a negative experience with buying once or twice. I am not sure that this is something we can implement on this particular board but we are going to look into it for sure.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby MR2MK1SC » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Oteck wrote:need a buyer/user feedback system.

This mod does exist for the PHPBB3 sofware BCMR2.com uses. Here is a link to it: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 25&start=0

The mod is not part of the base PHPBB3 product and will need the admin to patch the currently outdated version of this board to the newest version and install the above mod. After that (as is mentioned in pages 40-45 in the link above), the admin may wish to modify the base code to activate some custom features that would make it very much like eBay's User Feedback.

This should be a sinch for our savey Web Admins! :wink:

Good luck!
- D
Danny Revelant
'89 MR2 SC
MR2MK1SC
Grandfather '2

Postby MR2MK1SC » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:26 am

Can you guys enable the Chat feature on this board so people can Live Message eachother? I believe that this wasn't originally done due to issue with bandwidth, but with fewer users now, this would be very convenient, especially for people who have Windows Messenger disabled at work. :)

Thanks;
- Danny
Danny Revelant
'89 MR2 SC
MR2MK1SC
Grandfather '2

Postby Tonyq » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:11 pm

We can have a meet at Tbc Indoor Kart Racing. Their is enough parking space for our mr2
Tonyq
Baby '2

Postby MRII » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:25 am

Would you like to have more meets and/or drives? If so, please give your ideas for when, what, why, and where.
MRII
Junior '2

Postby Oteck » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:30 am

I don't have suggestions, just "demands" ;)

1. Set user info back to the lh side
2. allow us to keep logged in
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby RePete » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Yeah, I second Joe's first suggestion. I thought my browser was screwed until I tried my other computer.
MRII wrote:...I would like to see more drives, maybe once a month we cruise to different place in or around lower mainland and have a small BBQ where everyone brings something to share (hotdogs, burgers, pop, etc.)...

I've been saying, writing and posting about that for years, you can go back on my posts and check if you don't believe it. Who knows? It actually may happen starting next Spring now that Sarah's at the helm.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby 1985 Silver MKI » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:12 am

Oteck wrote:I don't have suggestions, just "demands" ;)

1. Set user info back to the lh side
2. allow us to keep logged in

+1
1985 Silver MKI
Papa '2

Next

Return to General Discussion