Hello everyone!

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Hello everyone!

Postby Gregonater » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:44 am

Hello!

I'm new here on the forums and a hopeful soon to be owner of a SW20 MR2 Turbo :D
I hope to get to know you guys and come out to the meets if I can find a good car!
I also have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for when I searched the forums.
Is a 93 car with 300,000kms on it going to last much longer? The owner had it rebuilt about 30,000kms ago and the turbo has been rebuilt and seems to be in great conditon.
I'm also having a hard time finding out how much these cars are worth because of inconsistent list prices and such.
I hope I am not being redundant!

Thanks!
Greg
Hopefully owner of MKII MR2 Turbo soon! :)
Gregonater

Re: Hello everyone!

Postby RePete » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:08 am

Welcome to our board, Greg.

Finding what they're worth may be elusive. They vary in price quite a bit depending on how they're kept, how attatched their owners are and even seasonal too. I've seen the same car in the same condition vary in sale price by 50% depending on the time of year. Best time to buy is mid November to mid February, the best selection and the cheapest prices (practically everyone needs money at X-mas & New Year's time).

If the engine has been rebuilt and you can verify that, then the mileage shouldn't be too concerning. Of course, you'll have to look at other things like floppy seats, warn body seals & interior, blown suspension, etc.. 300k is some serious mileage so expect to put about half the car's worth into it again when you buy it to get it where you want.

Good luck!
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Gregonater » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Hmm, the car seems like it is in excellent condition. No rust or anything. I think I'll look around and try to find one with kms under 180,000.
There is one car in the marketplace on this site
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11411
Don't know if you have seen the add but the owner is clearly not active on the forums since that is his only post. I might go check it out this week! :)
Gregonater

Postby MR2Kid » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:13 pm

It's as RePete says, and it really varies on price depending on condition, upgrades, etc.. Certainly the car may worth more to the owner than it is worth in the public market. Depends how badly you want to get into an MR2. Usually you get what you pay for, so be wary of any great 'deals' you find on one. Also note that almost every car (unless treated as a complete collector and hardly driven) will need constant repairs and updates. Just verify all repairs and make sure good quality parts (ie toyota) were used. That will go a long way for you.

On that note, I have yet to make a post, but will do so now. I am looking to sell my 93 turbo, canadian spec. It has just under 250k. It is on craiglist now, but I will make a post here... One of the hardest things/decisions I have had to make in my life. ...

Best of luck in your search for your car. I hope you find the one that is right for you. My biggest advice is to not rush. It took me 7 or 8 months before I found a car that I felt really good about (both price and condition), and I am happy I waited. Has been the best 'ride' of my life (sorry for the pun).
-Matt
Previous owner of a 1993 MR2 Turbo (Yellow)
MR2Kid
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Gregonater » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Ya, I've been looking for a few months now and I hope to find one by the end of the summer. I'm going to be using it as a DD and driving to school with it an such. You said I will have constant repairs but I was under the impression a well maintained car will be as reliable as any car that old. I was hoping for less than $2000 a year for repairs if I find a car under 180,000KM if it's in good condition. I also will soon be getting 40% off toyota parts and service I think once I have been where I work for a month...1 week to go! I'm hoping to find one for slightly under 8 grand. I think that is reasonable but I can't find any real info on how much these cars are worth other than how much they a posted for.
Gregonater

Postby 1985 Silver MKI » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:23 pm

you might also consider buying one in the states and driving it back, they are way cheaper down there.
1985 Silver MKI
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Welcome to the board! I'm Sarah, and I've been in your position before almost exactly, except I went through with it.

I bought a 1991 MR2 Turbo with 301000kms on it. I have since put 46000kms on it since buying it one and a half years ago. I have replaced to date: three sets of tires, two brake calipers, four rotors, four sets of pads, two emergency brake lines, distributor cap and rotor, two sets of spark plugs, four jugs of coolant, eight-ten coolant hoses (at $50-100 each), turbo, downpipe, exhaust, exhaust manifold gasket, turbo to downpipe gasket, throttle body gasket (twice), valve cover gasket (twice), air flow meter, and countless little things like vents and brackets and whatnot, as well as multiple oil changes, filters, air filters, etc. I have to replace the driver's side seat which has cracked and broken leather from use and wear, the hood flew up and broke the cowl and bent the hood (my fault of course), the paint is not factory but needs a refresh, it has lowering springs but needs new struts, and I am now replacing the entire motor as the head gasket blew and poured all of my coolant out at a gas station.

Is it worth the $4300 I paid plus the $1200 spent at Toyota last year, $700 on a new turbo, and the countless other little things and parts I have had to buy and am currently buying? Yes. Every time I get in that car it's worth it. I find excuses to drive it, I love to just stare at it sitting in the driveway. I get stared at driving down the road (in a 19 year old car!). If you have nothing you prefer to spend all your money on then go for it. I'm in debt for it currently, but I wouldn't trade it for anything (except a turbo MKIV Supra... :P).

That's just an example, though. If the car you say has a rebuilt motor, I say go for it. If the price is right and you have proof, the motor is probably good to go (provided the build was done well!), the body will probably need some work, you may need suspension and whatnot, but it's really up to you. It may be good to do what I did, save the money on the initial purchase and drive it, and piece it together as you go. One day you may also do what I did and take it off the road and turn it into a project and get a cheap car to boot around in. These cars are certainly NOT cheap on gas either, using 91 octane at a minimum!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and don't hesitate to ask somebody on here to help you with your purchase, I'm sure we can provide a good insight into what you may or may not be getting yourself into!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby MR2Kid » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Gregonater wrote:Ya, I've been looking for a few months now and I hope to find one by the end of the summer. I'm going to be using it as a DD and driving to school with it an such. You said I will have constant repairs but I was under the impression a well maintained car will be as reliable as any car that old. I was hoping for less than $2000 a year for repairs if I find a car under 180,000KM if it's in good condition. I also will soon be getting 40% off toyota parts and service I think once I have been where I work for a month...1 week to go! I'm hoping to find one for slightly under 8 grand. I think that is reasonable but I can't find any real info on how much these cars are worth other than how much they a posted for.

You're at the right place. This is the place to get all the info you need, and it will definitely help to have a discount on parts. You are right that a well maintained MR2 will be as reliable as any car that old... maybe even more reliable with Toyota's reliability. But any car that old will need constant repairs. A car has a lot of moving parts, and moving parts wear out after 17 years or so. Just be prepared as Sarah mentioned.

Having said that, I was well prepared for that scenerio, and was fortunate that I only paid $400-500 a year on repairs. Still factor in, more insurance cause it's turbo, tires more often than a normal car (depending on how you drive and type of tire), more gas expense(need to run 92 or 94 octane), and then you should be doing more frequent oil changes, maybe copper spark plugs if you run higher boost becasue you want a cold plug, etc. etc. etc...

As Sarah said, it's well worth it, and If I didn't have a significant other that I cared about, I would gladly go into debt for the car as well. In fact I did when I bought it, and it was well worth it.

Again, welcome to the board.
-Matt
Previous owner of a 1993 MR2 Turbo (Yellow)
MR2Kid
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Gregonater » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:19 am

I actually will have no other expenses other than the car since I am only 17 haha. My dads helping me out a bit with it but I am working over 40 hours a week currently so I want to have at least 2 grand put away in case of repairs for the year until the next summer on top of what I purchase the car for. I have always been a car enthusiast since before I could drive. I have been reading auto news since I was 12 or 13 and am totally fine with putting most of my money into the car. It's nice having no other responsibilities than taking care of a car, even if it is high maintenance :P. I would like to come out to the meets and stuff when I find a car and I was wondering if I will be the youngest or how much younger I am than everyone! haha
Gregonater

Postby thelaw604 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 am

Hi there,

I think I know which car you're looking at...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/c ... 29396.html

I looked at that one a few months ago too when he listed it at $8k. Seems like an honest guy and he was a part of this forum before as well. I almost bought it but I came across one that had 110k kms for around the same price, but was a 1992 Canadian model.

Another thing I noticed was that there was a bit of surface rust on the rocker panels near the front wheel wells. He said it sanded off no problem and repaired it with touchup paint. Rust for me is pretty much a deal breaker. Aside from that, it's in great condition and I was very close to buying it until I found the one I have now.

The one in the market place you posted seems like a decent deal as well. I ended up paying 8.8k for mine and it looks like it's exactly the same as his but completely stock. In which case, his posted at 9k is reasonable for all the mods.

Since I've bought it, I've spent a couple hundred on detailing products, a grand on new tires and rims, a hundred or so on a new boost guage and LED bulbs for the cluster, and a few hundred extra for comp/collision insurance. Worth it? HELL YEA.

Good luck in your search and be patient. It took me about 2 years to find one I like.
thelaw604
Baby '2

Postby Gregonater » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 am

That is the one, if it was lower KMs I would be all over it. I'm going to look at a bunch before I decide on anything. I'm sure his asking price is negotiable.
I'm looking at http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/c ... 43152.html on wednesday and hopefully the one with mods on it wednesday also. Maybe one of them will work out!
Gregonater

Postby Gregonater » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:50 pm

I looked at the one with mods today and everything on the car seemed to be good except possible clutch slip or something. If accelerating hard there is a sudden loss of power at 5200rpm then it picks back up. Do you think this is clutch slip?

Thanks again :)

NVM, I have been reading and I don't think it's clutch slip but possibly a tuning problem?
Gregonater

Return to General Discussion